Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a big no-no to install a used original gm limited unit and gears into a 12 Bolt The gears and limited slip look to be in great condition

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
nope nothing wrong with that at all. set the contact pattern and backlash,preload as usual and try it. post a pic of the pattern here for guys like big gear head to look at. used gears look a little different but can still be set up especially gm gears

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
That was my original plan. Bought a set of 3.31 take outs years ago? A used 3 series posi and a new install kit. Then I got to thinking.......
$200 to have it set up at a differential shop weather I go new or used. 250 to rebuild the posi unit (since it's out why not right?) Then if I go with a new position why not just get the whole kit and everything will be new for a few hundred more.
Or, say the heck with it, just use what I have and go used all the way. It's not a race car and I don't even need a 12 bolt.
I'm leaning towards used posi and gears myself. Jim

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is 3:31 ratio gm unit and gears they look to be great condition $350 for all $300 labor to install. I was going to get the package from quick performance or national drivetrain $550 Yukon Richmond and $640 for Eaton and motive. Used gets me everything

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Nothing wrong with that at all. Used GM gears are actually easier to set up than aftermarket. Typically you can just put all the original shims back and it will right when you measure back lash and preload and check the pattern.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got back picked up the gears and posi unit and they are in unbelievably great shape I'm super excited only question is now whats a good decent installation kit for the mechanic to install the parts I seen them from Summit range from $60-$100 any advice on a kit

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
Can a differential shop check a used posi by feel weather it needs new clutches or not? Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts