Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scouring the town here looking for a used Chevy truck. I recently came across a 2000 Z71 with 95K. Very clean, new tires, great service record - looks very nice/drives very nice. Cloth interior, power windows and doors. Priced at 10K. I thought the price was pretty good, and a few folks at work agreed. However, one of my buddies thought it was too high. I know a lot of you look at trucks so I thought I would get better opinions. If you were going to spend 10K, what kind of truck would you expect? I need half ton, V8, and four doors (not a crew cab). I want 4x4 and I really want it to be Chevrolet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think that's a very fair price. I have a 98 2WD that could almost pull that amount down here in the South East. The miles are pretty good too.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Thats a very decent fair price for it i think. Look at www.nada.com and see how it specs out there for price but too me thats a good deal if its clean and nice.

Andy

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Something to look for, is rust coming through the bottom parts of the rocker panels.
Sounds like a good price, especially for a Z71. Is it an LS or an LT? The motor is good for another 150,000+ miles.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
The pic looks pretty nice. Does it have the 5.3 litre engine ? One thing I would look into is to listen to the engine when you start it cold. The 5.3 engine is known to have some, what GM has refered to as piston slap noise. It goes away after it warms up, but annoy's me. I bought an 03' Z71 new and it did this. They told me it was normal and should not be an issue. I had a problem with the term 'Normal". To me is the engine tollerance stack-up was correct when built, one should not hear knocking when started. Non of the earlier 350 engines I owned ever did that. Another thing is they can be prone to sloppy/loose steering which is another bogus thing they told me was normal. Other than these two things, I think they are a fine truck. I sold the 03 Z71. I now have a 2000, 3/4 ton Silverado with the 6.0 litre enginge.

Cheers,

-Garry

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
The pic looks pretty nice. Does it have the 5.3 litre engine ? One thing I would look into is to listen to the engine when you start it cold. The 5.3 engine is known to have some, what GM has refered to as piston slap noise. It goes away after it warms up, but annoy's me. I bought an 03' Z71 new and it did this. They told me it was normal and should not be an issue. I had a problem with the term 'Normal". To me is the engine tollerance stack-up was correct when built, one should not hear knocking when started. Non of the earlier 350 engines I owned ever did that. Another thing is they can be prone to sloppy/loose steering which is another bogus thing they told me was normal. Other than these two things, I think they are a fine truck. I sold the 03 Z71. I now have a 2000, 3/4 ton Silverado with the 6.0 litre enginge.

Cheers,

-Garry
That's cold knock is very common on the 5.3. I have seen some later vortec 350's that do the same thing. I had someone tell me it's because the pistons don't have skirts?? I don't know if that's true or not. I bought a 2000 with 6000 miles back in 01' and it had the same knock even with 6000 miles.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,841 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the piston slap, my 95 Z28 with the LT1 has done that in cold weather since it was new, it now has 245,000 miles on it and still runs great and still makes the noise on a cold morning.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the piston slap, my 95 Z28 with the LT1 has done that in cold weather since it was new, it now has 245,000 miles on it and still runs great and still makes the noise on a cold morning.
Ron
Thant's what GM told me too. I guess I just have a problem with being told it's normal. Heck, I can buy a competetor's product and they don't knock when started. I feel kind of weird when I start my truck in the driveway in the morning and my neighbor starts his Ford truck at the same time. He looks over with a curious look on his face and i'm sure it's "Why the heck is that Chevy knocking like that" look. I have been in manufacturing all my working life and I think it's a cop-out on GM's part for bad tollerance stack-up's and poor quality control. IMO, a New $30 pluss truck should not knock, what ever brand it is ! And, this is coming from a Chevy guy through and through !

-Garry

·
Registered
684 Posts
LS I believe. Doesn't the LT include leather seats. This doesn't have leather (or power) seats.

Here it is:
Jeff I think you NEEEEEEEEEED a 76 C-20 with a 454 in it... :D

Ok here is my opinion. 95K is alot of miles and if you look around in OK I think you find a better price. I bought my 02 with 30K miles in OK and save well over 5k on the seling price. Have you look at the year end sales for new? You can get a great deal on last years models and $10k in a great down payment.
If you want I'll go shopping with ya... I'd love to spend your money for you...:D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've been looking at trucks up here in NY and that seems to be about what they want for them up here too. We usually have to deal with a lot of rust on older models.:sad: I just hate to dole out 10-12 grand for something 7 yrs. old with 100,000 miles and rusting away underneath.:noway: I'm thinking of taking a trip down south to see what I can find.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I've been looking at trucks up here in NY and that seems to be about what they want for them up here too. We usually have to deal with a lot of rust on older models.:sad: I just hate to dole out 10-12 grand for something 7 yrs. old with 100,000 miles and rusting away underneath.:noway: I'm thinking of taking a trip down south to see what I can find.
Good idea! We bought a 03' Silverado x cab Z71 from southern Oklahoma last year. I was amazed when I climbed under the truck to change the oil. It looked brand new! Even the stickers were still on everything... Definately worth the drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.