Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy I work with says that a 327 Chevy is different from a 350 in that the oil filter (not dipstick) is on the opposite side of the block (that would be passenger). I told him he was nuts, they were all on the driver's side.

Who is right, and do you have a website I can go to or a picture of the two on the web? This guy is loaded with urban legends - you know his cousin owned a '67 Z28 and another cousin had a '63 Fuelie Vette and another had an LS6 Chevelle 4 speed. Oh yeah, and his uncle had a real 427 Shelby Cobra. And the best one, his brother's Camaro had so much torque (350 stock engine) that it ripped a hole in the block from twisting (boy that's some strong motor mounts).

·
Registered
137 Posts
You are right, every SBC I have ever seen (with the exception of the 265) the oil filter was on the driver's side.

The early 327 engines needed an adapter to accept a spin on filter though..

------------------
Nick
Proud owner of a 66 Malibu -
355, four speed, 3.08 pegleg

14.94 @ 93.75 (Needs work, I know)

<A HREF="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~amcarthu" TARGET=_blank>
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House</A>

·
Registered
982 Posts
Tell him how you broke a mirror and got 7 years bad luck, and also how you made a face and your face stayed that way when someone scared you.

Make him prove it....it doesnt exist

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Block Dave:
Tell him how you broke a mirror and got 7 years bad luck, and also how you made a face and your face stayed that way when someone scared you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, man, you mean to tell me that's not true? Boy, I learn new things from this site everyday!!
By the way, Dave, your face in the picture, while driving the LIE, is that the face you made as a kid and your mother warned you about??

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
ok, Im confussed, arent 327 and 350 the same block both small block chevy?
Im new and learning but this is fun.

G

·
The 327 and 350 are the same, there are differences in the early 327, small journal, late 327 was a big journal block.

The early 265 had no oil filter at all. The "road draft tube" was inside the bell housing part of the block and protruded out the bottom about 6 to 8 inches.

There were add on oil filter kits, one I remember was mounted on top of the motor and used a roll of toilet paper! Got to wonder about a deal like that!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The oil filter on the early 265's was optional. It used the same basic "bolt on" components as the 235 six cylinder engine. My '57, with the 235, didn't have a filter, but I managed to find the components at a swap meet years ago and I installed it. It uses a disposable canister type element with a litle metal handle on it so you can lift it from the filter housing. The housing, by the way, mounts "right side up" and is connected to the oil gallery with flexible rubber hoses. On the 265 V8, the housing has mounting tabs which are held by the intake manifold bolts on the passenger side, towards the rear of the engine. On the 6 cylinder models, it clamps to the intake manifold with a "U" clamp. Very convenient to change!

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
560,000+ miles on car.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The oil filter on the early 265's was optional. It used the same basic "bolt on" components as the 235 six cylinder engine. My '57, with the 235, didn't have a filter, but I managed to find the components at a swap meet years ago and I installed it. It uses a disposable canister type element with a litle metal handle on it so you can lift it from the filter housing. The housing, by the way, mounts "right side up" and is connected to the oil gallery with flexible rubber hoses. On the 265 V8, the housing has mounting tabs which are held by the intake manifold bolts on the passenger side, towards the rear of the engine. On the 6 cylinder models, it clamps to the intake manifold with a "U" clamp. Very convenient to change!

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
560,000+ miles on car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all! That is pretty much what I figured. Oh you should here these stories I get DAILY! A model rocket with 5 engines and had to be lit with a magneto, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.