Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the old points style distributor (1970 year model). If you take the cap off and grab the rotor then lift up, this thing will move upwards a good 1/8 inch. Is this not way too much? If so, what should the end play be and where do you shim it? I'll probably go to an HEI eventually but need to live with this thing a while longer.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I replaced my stock points distibutor last year on my 70,and had the same 1/8 or so of end play.I replaced it with a new Accel points style distibutor, which had almost no play at all. I also noticed right away that one of those annoying ticking sounds, you can never find, was gone.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You put shims between the thrust washer and the housing. There is probably one in there already.

At any rate, it would probably work like it is but would be better shimmed.

Peter

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Doodle, Why not send your current dist to Dave Ray; www.davessmallbodyheis.com He can rebuild it and convert it to an HEI type dist and set it up to your engine specs and there won't be any guess work involved in setting advance rates. Give his website a look.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chev64 ---- You're exactly correct and that is what I have in mind. Dave has the best deal going on a small body HEI. Just don't quite have the cash right now, that's why I need to live with the old points setup a little longer. I like keeping the stock look but having the advantages of the HEI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.