Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that there are only a few companies making upholstery for chevelles. Can anyone tell me who they are? I've heard that PUI was one but what are the others and which do you recommend?

TIA

------------------
Bob

My 69 Malibu

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Well my .02: I purchased an interior kit from Austleys about 4 years ago. Seatcovers and door panels were PUI (fairly sure), carpet and sound deadener by "Repops".

Seatcovers fit great according to the installer, were a breeze to put on. Door panels look very nice, however I had part of my chrome strip pulling loose. In all fairness, that could have resulted from the extended storage, so no bad points given on that one. I would HIGHLY recommend spending the extra cash for the fully assembled panels. I have the "assemble yourself" versions, and they are a PITA to put together.
Sound deadener: My .0002-don't use the factory "tar paper" type. Is a real pain to do properly, using a heat gun to melt the backing so they will stick in place. I'd go with dynomat and adhesive spray-should work just as good and install much easier.
Carpet: Repop's carpet is GREAT!!! The moulded fit was done perfectly for my car. Minimal trimming required. About 2 weeks after I did my car, I helped my cousin do one for his 68 Camaro. Again a repop carpet. Went very smoothly.

Hope this helps.

Sid

------------------
71 Ragtop
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I just ordered fully assembled door panels from Ground Up, made by PUI and from what I have heard they are great. I will be getting them next week.

I had the factory like deadener on my car, and Sid is right. It does not work well at all. I will go with Dynomat. Kind of pricey but well worth the money. Friend of mine has it installed and he loves it.

·
Premium Member
28,418 Posts
Bob,PUI and Pristine make seat Chevelle seat covers (Pristine is/was available thru Ted Williams) PUI is nicer than Pristine,IMO,but they both look good.I do my own seat recovering,and they're both easy to work with as far as fit,stretching etc.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M20/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
I just had back seat skins installed. The basket weave strip is considerably narrower than the originals. Check before you install if you are a stickler for detail. My PUI bucket seat skins are about 4 years old. They are still like new. There are embossed seam lines on the skins and the originals had rolls between the seams. These are flat. Again, check before you have them installed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just went through this myself, their is one more company called distinctive that makes interior covers, I could not tell the difference between them and PUI, none that I have seen are exactly like the originals, the pleating in the middle is flat on all the repos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts