Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 327 275hp engine. As for modifications, It has an edelbrock 600cfm carb, a holley dominator II air intake and headers with an x pipe. The headers I have now create alot of noise from exahaust so I wanted to go to back to manifold. The question is can I do this with these add ons or does the aftermarket carb and air intake need a freer flowing exhaust. Also is the x pipe something I could keep or would you have to get rid of it when putting on stock manifolds??? Thanks.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There a rusty set of headers that came on the car when I bought it. I replaced the gaskets at the engine and collector but this didn't do anything. I can't see any holes were the rust has gone threw the metal... I'm wary about putting on a new set of headers vs just putting on the stock manifold because of the issues im having with these headers and how others have had problems sealing headers.

· Premium Member
2,643 Posts
IMO buy a quality set of headers. Some that have thick flanges and heavier gauge tubing. A lot of the parts store specials have thin tubing causing them to be louder.

· Registered
5,676 Posts
when i did the header VS manifold experiments the manifolds did not have the lowend that the headers did.
On a 350 the 2 had the same topend...but on a 388" the manifolds did not pull as many R's they were down 700rpm ..these were log style that were ported..i had around 20 hours in each manifold ..and the outlet was nearly 2.5"

you will not notice the difference above 3500rpm in the smaller low hp engines...Tire burning lowend is greatly improved with the long tube headers though.
I also did a test on a 400" pontiac 1977..ported manifolds VS the Torque tube or something 3 tube header..remember those....well the manifolds won hands down in low end and topend.....But that is a poncho and it was low compression over camed deal..still twisted to 6500rpm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.