Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to the guy again - he has the build sheet and it does NOT indicate that it is an SS. He's telling me that he cannot absolutely prove that it is an SS, so he's not trying to sell it as such. However, when he got the car, it came with the SS trim, and has the correct SS dash and lighted glove box. It doesn't however, have the remote mirrors as the Team Chevelle Web site "Chevelle SS Identification" article says it should. Also, the same article says that all SS's come with the F41 suspension. If it does,would this be included on the build sheet or not? It's not on the build sheet from the car

The VIN code has a 2nd character of "D", which indicates Malibu. Should it be a "C" to indicate "Chevelle"?
Other options from the build sheet are:
Bucket seats
Door edge guards
console
3:31 axle
L48 350 V8
M20 4 speed
E78-14 tires
UF1 mirror lamp
Trunk lite
Aux Rear spkr
Built in Baltimore

This is a tough one - would more info be on the cowl tag that would identify it as an SS?

At $13K asking price I want to be careful. However, the guy seems very honest and uprfront, which is why he's not trying to bill this as an SS - he's just saying that he can't prove it either way. Also, it appears that from the condition of this car, it may be worth it anyway, given the New paint, mint condition, matching #s, etc.
The Cars of Particular Interest magazine lists a few 72 NON-SS convertibles for more than this guy is asking. Is that reliable?

PLEASE HELP. I'm gonna look at it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
build sheet should definately have a rpo code for ss and should say "ss 350 package" or something like that if the 350 is original..but even if its not an ss the price is not outrageous if it is a very nice ready to drive car.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
The E78-14 tires give it away as not being an SS. F41 suspension was standard on all '72 Chevelle SSs, but was also available on a non-SS if it had the Turbo-Jet 402. In that case it would still only come with F78-14 tires. The gauges were available on V8 coupes and convertibles, but it is not unheard of for Chevy to bend the rules in that reguard (back in those days). I tried to get a Cavalier V6/5-spd. wagon with gauges back in '89, but Chevy simply refused.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.