Decided to pull 2 pistons, noticed a vertical line in 2 cylinders. A I suspected there was a sharp edge on two rings left over form filing. Probably no big deal, but no sense in scoring fresh cylinders. While I had things apart, went back over all the rods and the mains - this time with a fresh tube of ARP lube that I picked up. Previous had torqued with 30 wt oil as a lube. Interestingly, at the rated torque values of 50# for rods, 100# for the mains, with the correct lube as soon as I got to the required torque values, sure enough, the nuts / bolts got tight, I could tell imediately, I had gotten to the point of bolt stretch. Torque with oil, the bolts still felt loose. In the case of the rods, I had them up to 55# with oil and they still hadn't tightened. Just goes to show how well this works and what happens when you do it with the recommended assembly lube.
PS- let me tell you what a relief it is to finally have a well prepped short block - ready to go.