Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ask me how to spend thousands of dollars and go no faster. Yesterday I took the car out for the first time and accomplished nothing. The weather was terrible, it rained twice and the traction was terrible. My first pass I spun the tires that the car went to the right hard and went 9.57. The next pass I spun them again and went 9.51. I dialed a 9.50 for first round and wound up breaking out with a 9.46 on the brakes. I finally managed a 1.30 60' on the last pass but I could feel the back of the car wiggling around the whole way down. However on the positive side the car is still in one piece. On the down side I made a lot of miscalculations for this year. I changed the rear gears expecting the car to go faster, not realizing that Maple Grove is about .1 slower than Atco. This already dropped the finish line rpm and I think it's hurting the first half too now. If things don't get better I will be putting the 4.88's back in over the winter. After the chassis work the car weighed in at 3165 which is 15 pounds heavier than the last time it was weighed. So as of now, on a good weather day I'm expecting the car to run low 40's high 30's which is what it ran at Atco on hot days. But like I said before, the engine, trans, and chassis work all seemed to work well so this week I will be going over the car looking for anything that may have loosened up and probably going out again in a couple of weeks to try again.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Isn't this why we love racing so much? :wacko::clonk: LOL
I feel your pain.

I think you made improvements but mother nature did not allow you to see them. Maybe your car hates you too LOL:D

Next time out you will be flying! :thumbsup:

:beers:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Ray,
I know it is a long drive but let me know if you want to get in on a track rental at Atco.Give yourself a break it sounds like you did not run the car in the best conditions and still you managed a 9.46 on the brakes.Keep at it and you will get it worked out.
Vinny

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe your car hates you too LOL:D

I know it does, it's told me many times.:D:beers:

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Isn't this why we love racing so much? :wacko::clonk: LOL
I feel your pain.

I think you made improvements but mother nature did not allow you to see them. Maybe your car hates you too LOL:D

Next time out you will be flying! :thumbsup:

:beers:
Maybe its the Darkside :D

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
If it makes you feel any better........ My Day was 1st pass missed 2-3 shift,2nd pass car cut off after burnout on the start line and had to be pushed off, 3rd pass pretty much a repeat of #2. Did get it started, red light and broke up about the 1/8th .l:)

Out of nowhere car starts acting up,fouling plugs etc had to limp home and never got a clean pass.The way I see it... Everybody has one of these days coming to em, maybe you got yours over with. I hope next week is better.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
So you are saying that if I had showed up, I had a shot at beating you? :D
What was the DA down there yesterday?
Like others said, at least nothing broke.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Feel your pain too....last winter was a $1400 cam swap (did more than just a cam) Still....9.5's and .4's is haulin' and I had a buddy in the 9.teens who said "never again"... too much $$$$ for the return (.1 here or there at best :sad: )

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know what the DA was for the day, the only thing I have to compare as far as weather is that the guy I ran in TT had a 9.61 on the window from last week and he went 9.70 against me. Also the people next to me were .08 slow from last week also. Trust me I was asking everyone and anyone what the situation was since I haven't run at Maple Grove in 9 years. But the general consensus from people that had run Atco and Maple Grove is that you will go slower at Maple Grove and that the weather was definitely bad, which I already knew.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I have 2 areas to look at this weekend. The front suspension and the rear suspension. I lowered the front of the car this winter and found a mismatch in height in the front springs. So I'm wondering if the ladder bars were square with the way the car was sitting. Now that the ride height has changed and squared I think there may be a preload in my bars which MAY be the cause of the car going right when it left, I hope. Also the toe on the front suspension looks to be a little much, so I want to check that. Someone told me that excessive toe can cause the car to feel like it's wiggling due to the fact that the front tires are trying to get straight and are fighting each other. So hopefully I may find something in my search.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
found a mismatch in height in the front springs. So I'm wondering if the ladder bars were square with the way the car was sitting. Now that the ride height has changed and squared I think there may be a preload in my bars which MAY be the cause of the car going right when it left, I hope.
Do you have access to 4 corner scales? Changing the front ride height has a big effect on how the car launches. I help a buddy out who races Super Stock. It was an eye opener to see how much of a change/shift in weight there was when I adjusted his rear 4-link by 1 flat. It made a drastic difference on how the car left also. 1 flat can be the difference (in his car anyway) between launching straight and aiming for the tree on the launch.
Car runs low-mid 9's.
Good luck to you this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
13,311 Posts
I have never understood some of you guys. Do you want to win races, or go fast ???? If you want to win races, forget about how fast the car is going and spend every penny you have on making it more consistant. When I was racing my 67 Camaro I did not care how fast it went. I was perfectly happy running 10.70's for almost 14 years. Had several 1st and 2nd place points finishes, NED bracket finals several times and won a fair amount of money back when they were only paying $500 to win in Pro ET. The key was being able to hit consistant .020 and better lights and the car running dead on every time.

Heck, I know of one customer that ran a 12 second camaro all last year and killed everyone because they couldn't figure out how to race the finish line with him going that slow :) Try judging the line when you are going 150 and he is going 100 :(

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have access to 4 corner scales? Changing the front ride height has a big effect on how the car launches. I help a buddy out who races Super Stock. It was an eye opener to see how much of a change/shift in weight there was when I adjusted his rear 4-link by 1 flat. It made a drastic difference on how the car left also. 1 flat can be the difference (in his car anyway) between launching straight and aiming for the tree on the launch.
Car runs low-mid 9's.
Good luck to you this weekend.
No Jim I don't have access to the scales, but I did check the rear suspension last night. First I used a magnetic protractor to see if there was a gross difference in the bar angle. The driver side bar is pointed down 3 degrees and the passenger side bar is pointed down 4 degrees. This was a positive indication right off the bat. I pulled the front bolt out of the driver side bar and it moved up about 1/8". So just to confirm, I put the bolt back in and pulled the passenger side bolt and the passenger side bar dropped 1/8". So as of right now I do believe there is preload in the suspension and knowing ladder bars, the higher the front of the bar is the harder it will hit. I think this is why the car was driving to the right every time it left, so I will make the adjustment and then check out the front end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.