Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone knew if the 1970 SS could have came originally with Uniroyal Tiger Paws instead of the Firestone Wide Ovals or Goodyear Polyglass tires.

The spare in my car is supposed to be original, according to the previous owners, and it is a Uniroyal Tiger Paw. I have never read anything or seen pictures of new Chevelles with these tires.

Thks

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Eatontown, NJ
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

[This message has been edited by richr (edited 12-28-1999).]

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
You could get Uniroyal Tiger-Paws, Goodyear Polyglas GT's, Firestone Wide Ovals, Generals (whatever); I figure that otherswere possible.

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited 12-28-1999).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rich,
I still have the original Tiger paw spare from my LS6.Dry rotted to hell though.From what I read the 5 brands of tires on the 70 SS cars were: Uniroyal Tiger Paws,Firestone Wide Ovals,Goodyear Polyglas,General 700 belted,and Goodrich performance GT.

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn gold LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52
Aces #3094 community-2.webtv.net/SS454chevelle/1970LS6CHEVELLE/

·
Registered
99 Posts
I spoke to someone living in Virginia yesterday and he has a 9000 mile LS6 built in
Lakewood and his car still has the original Uniroyal tires on it. (Told me someone was
flying in today to buy the car for 90000.00)
Hard to believe.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Rick- Would that have been Bill Bonham??? His car is nice, but not $90G nice.
I believe Dean is correct, with the 5 tires mentioned. My LS6 still has a Uniroyal Tiger Paw on it also.
This is what I think the one line on the build sheet means... FRS/UNI/GDY...
Firestone/Uniroyal/Goodyear
Could these have been the only white lettered tires available for the SS cars with F70-14 PL4 tires???

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Rick-
Yes, I have seen the car. It was at the NCOA nationals in '98, at Schaumburg. It's not a bad car, but it is all original except for some of the paint. Not really detailed under the hood like a frame-off showcar would be, and you wouldn't expect it to be with only 9717 miles on it. This is the car we were talking about a few months ago when I made a reference to the way the factory hammered these cars out in mass production. Talking about the grinder marks in the roof-quarter seams and other stuff that you wouldn't have in a ultra show car.
IMHO, it's a $40-45G car. I hope he sells it for more, makes mine worth more!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.