Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to setup my unilite distrbutor but not sure what to set it to. Can you guys help?
I have the plastic gage to set the advance stops and several different springs but need some suggestions as to where to set everything.

Heres what I have:
600 holley
gross lift at cam .298 224 degrees duration @ .050
valve lift .447 290 degrees duration
Mallory unilite dist
MSD 6A box
Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
did you get instructions with it? kinda hard to give detailed instructions as far as the adjusting of the curve.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Did you buy this used? I bought mine, then had to buy the guages to set total advance, but the instructions had different curves for different colored springs. You might be able to look them up on Mallorys website. After putting the 505 in the car I just locked it out at 38* total.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you buy this used? I bought mine, then had to buy the guages to set total advance, but the instructions had different curves for different colored springs. You might be able to look them up on Mallorys website. After putting the 505 in the car I just locked it out at 38* total.
I bought my dist used but have the plastic key and understand how to adjust the mech adv.
I just dont know how to determine how much advance (mech,vacume,intial) I need.
One of the reasons I'm trying to do this is because driving down the road at cruising speed the car surges and I think it could be from the adavance.
thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
The key sets the mechanical. The initial you set with a timing light and it's how you position the distributor in the engine.

Bob is saying to use the key to set the distributor to 20 degrees. Then when you set the distributor in the motor, give it 16-18 degrees of initial timing. You will need either a dial-back timing light or timing tape on the balancer because the timing tab won't read this far.

Getting it all in by 2500 RPM. This means that the mechanical advance won't advance any more past 2500 RPM. You accomplish this with the springs inside the distributor. Mallory has different colors for different rates. They have a graph showing the rate of each spring. With a little study, you can deduce which springs you need. Or you can just play with the distributor in the car and rev the engine to 2500 and beyond while watching the timing advance with your light. Do all of this with the vacuum advance unhooked.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, I'm startting to understand this.
Thanks.
Is there a way to determine how much of each type of timing a particular motor will need or run best at?

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Yes, start with the advice of the guys on this site then work on your own combo until you have it dialed in. In other words, there is no magic bullet, you've just gotta spend a little time tweaking. Bob's advice will get you pretty close, if not right on!

IMO, you are starting with a good distributor, it already has a performance curve in ot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts