Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- My '72 Chevelle has over 1" difference in the ride height in the rear, the passenger side being lower. The springs are 1 year old and switching them around does not help. The springs are stock height by the way. I have had the car for 8 years and the problem seems to be getting a little more noticeable lately. What can I do to even out the height? I don't want to use those spring expanders since this would not be too good for launches. Does this mean I have a bent frame? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Savdog;
If switching the springs from one side to the other doen't help, the problem probably isn't the rear springs. If you can find a scale and check the weight on each wheel you will probably find the left front spring is stronger than the right front. If the left front is held up the right rear will go down. You may need new front springs.
Gary R

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
At the risk of starting another argument, I'll say that you can use air shocks with separate lines for each one to level the rear if the difference is only an inch. I have done this and have about 15# nin one side and 25# in the other. You can use them to preload the suspension for drag racing as well. SSuper Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was thinking of adding new front springs in the spring, since I have small block springs with a big block and I would like it to sit a bit higher in the front. This makes sense to me, but how would this happen to the springs? Just from the twisting force on the frame over time? When I put a jack under the passenger side rear wheel and raise it so both rear wheels are even, the front evens out accordingly. Also, I want to improve my wieght transfer also, what type of springs would you people recommend for a street and occasional strip car? I also want a real "bad-ass" stance to the car. I had air shocks on it a few years ago and I didn't care for the bouncy ride or the wheel hop I got with them. Thanks for the advice.

L

·
0 Posts
Just to show SSuper Dave that everyone is totally anti air shock...I agree, using to just to even up ride (separate left & right valves and all) isn't a big no-no.
As far as good springs for an occasional strip car, there's nothing wrong with stock big-block springs, but if you're really looking for good weight transfer, a lighter spring that stores more energy is better. But as I've found, these lead to a bouncy front end (especially with drag shocks) and more of tendency to bottom out.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,047 Posts
In general, car suspensions work kind of like a criss-cross teeter-totter. If the right front sags, the left rear pops up. The center of gravity in a Chevelle is well toward the front, so a half-inch sag on one side of the front may translate to a full inch difference in the rear. Jack it up under the frame in front of the right front wheel and see the difference in the back.

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Using SBC springs with a BBC is the first problem. If you want a 'bad ass' stance get the factory F-41 HD springs for a BBC. Then if the problem persists get new body mounts. These cars have a tendancy to squish body mounts which results in the 'sagging look'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when I jack up the passenger side front so that both sides are even, the back doesn't even out. But jacking up the back passenger side makes the front even out as I said earlier. The body mounts are something I never really considered but I know they have never been replaced so this is something I will take a look at. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Moroso makes the "Trick Drag Springs" sold through summit racing for $100 less than calling Moroso. Anyway there are 2 springs one for right and one for left, the right spring is designed to be stiffer for torque of the line but it will get rid of this lean. I put them all the way around and the lean is gone and better traction of the line than before. I got them from Summit for $200 for all four, Moroso wanted $300. I have heard that the reason the car leans is because left spring is taller so when a driver sits in the vehical it then evens out???????? Well to sum it up the lean goes away and the traction is somewhat better than stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.