Team Chevelle banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of sandblasting the undercarriage of my 70 Chevelle and plan on using Transtar 2K self etching primer over the bare metal, 2 heavy coats, and then scuff and spray chassis black. Is that the proper procedure to use or is there a better/more proper way to do things? Can chassis black be clearcoated or is it not necessary?I have it on a rotisserie to make things easier.
thanks

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I used Por-15 after the blasting/cleaning and no primer was needed. Your process sounds fine. I wouldn't think you need clear if you have a good final finish paint.

I think the Por-15 would last alot longer, however. Another option people are doing that looks really friggin' cool is galvanizing the frame before painting. Sear ch for frame galvanizing. lots of info on it, that what i'll do on my next one.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Back in the day (2001), I cleaned scuff and used self-etch on bare metal and top coated with Martin Senour Chassis Black. Turned out well:

In hindsight, I wish I would have sanded with 180 and shot it with epoxy primer for a lot more protection. But I didn't intend on the car seeing wet roads and I knew nothing about epoxy primer.
I did the same process with the frame but used Martin Senour semi-gloss chassis black.

·
Registered
944 Posts
2006 post
I stand corrected. I just assumed I jumped right in within a couple years of getting the car.
I've been looking for my old posts. How do you find them?

·
Premium Member
16,622 Posts
Self etch is very outdated and not really needed on sandblasted metal. I use epoxy primer on everything. For top coats, honestly, I find the best thing to use is reduced enamel with a hardener. It’s cheap, tough as nails when dry, and easy to touch up if needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts