Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 SS Chevelle with a mild 427. I would like to add forced induction, but I don't want to cut my hood or get a new one. I want the sleeper look. I also don't want to have an engine bay full of tubes, so turbos are out. From some of the research I've done so far I don't think a roots style blower will fit. What will work? I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
it's too bad soemone won't step up and offer a low profile screw type supercharger like they put on the new Vettes and what not for the older small blocks and big blocks.. a switch to efi would be necessary, but it would be sooo worth it..

since you don't want turbos, looks like you are stuck with a centrifugal blower of some sort. Paxton, Vortech, etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Turbo World

since you don't want turbos, looks like you are stuck with a centrifugal blower of some sort. Paxton, Vortech, etc.

Centrifugal blowers use approx. the same underhood real estate as a turbo, and sometimes more.

All SCs are parasitically chewing up operational HP from idle upward, adding heat, & hurting MPG, i.e., they're always switched "on".

You can cruise with a turbo w/o any such effects, because it's essentially "off" until you spool it up, much like a secondary "passing gear" waiting on enough input from your right shoe.

Stay out of spool-up = great MPG. Get into spool & boost = mucho HP!!

You decide when it's time to activate your new-found afterburner!! ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Haaaaa. No intention to hijack your thread but.... I saw the title of this and though it was refering to an under the hood battery trickle charger that many had added back in the day. (I have one on my 66 but I don't have a picture to post.)
Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
Re: Turbo World

Centrifugal blowers use approx. the same underhood real estate as a turbo, and sometimes more.

All SCs are parasitically chewing up operational HP from idle upward, adding heat, & hurting MPG, i.e., they're always switched "on".

You can cruise with a turbo w/o any such effects, because it's essentially "off" until you spool it up, much like a secondary "passing gear" waiting on enough input from your right shoe.

Stay out of spool-up = great MPG. Get into spool & boost = mucho HP!!

You decide when it's time to activate your new-found afterburner!! ;)
the newer screw type super chargers they sell in kits for late models have a bypass valve in them that sort of acts like a wastegate in a turbo- it bypasses the air around the rotors when there isn't any demand. they claim that it only takes a couple of hp to spin the rotors in these situations and that they get the same mpg as a naturally aspirated engine when driven nice.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
Belt driven ones are supposedly more efficient. Takes power to turn any of them but worth it. Only thing I dont like is some of them have that whistling sound (Vortech??)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have a 68 SS Chevelle with a mild 427. I would like to add forced induction, but I don't want to cut my hood or get a new one. I want the sleeper look. I also don't want to have an engine bay full of tubes, so turbos are out. From some of the research I've done so far I don't think a roots style blower will fit. What will work? I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
here something that may work for ya. not mine

http://www.performanceboats.com/parts-spam/82363-vortech-procharger-bbc.html

·
Premium Member
1967 Olds 442 powered by a 700+hp 540 Big Block Chevy
648 Posts
How about a "rear mount" turbo, like the STS style??

Plenty of room under a '68 GM A-body.

Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys...it looks like a procharger is my only option. I'm still really not sold on the tubes to/from the intercooler to the carb. Does anyone make shorter motor mounts in order to run a roots style? I really like the idea of just bolting it on where the intake goes and running a cog belt.

I only drive this car for fun, but I want it to be reliable. I don't care about mpg's; gettin horrible mileage already. I also don't like the idea that you have to spool a turbo before you build power. I would think that would produce lag and when I step on the pedal I want it to go right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts