Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately at some point someone put in an after market radio(yes hacked dash up) in my sons 70 Chevelle. Under the dash going to what was the radio plug(I assume) are three wires, yellow, black and gray. Yellow I assume is power, black is ground but what is the gray wire. The guy also tied into the cigarette lighter wire for what I assume would be the memory on the radio. I'm going to replace the unit with a CD player and would like to clean up and wire things better, suggestions on how and where to hook things up. He also installed temp and a mechanical oil pressure guage pod under the dash and that wiring is a mess as well as the tach mounted on the steering column. Spliced into some wire I assume for the lamps to work when the lights were turned on. Used different gauge wires that were spliced together. Any suggestions on how to do this properly would be appreciated. Thanks Pete

BTW 70 35o with AC

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The gray wire is the dash lights. Originally ran the light for the radio. Doesn't sound like he did anything wrong but maybe just a little sloppy.
Suggestions?
The new CD player should come with a harness. Dress it out neatly.
Those plastic spot ties can help to do a neat job. Use heat shrink tubing instead of tape over the joints. Tape falls off. Both items can be found at Home Depot.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. I was thinking about using spade connectors(since wiring is already hacked) to allow for ease of removal if needed. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts