Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 17, bought my first chevelle 69 (cough 4dr) Malibu back in June. I'm 17 and insurance wasn't bad it was actually less than my first car (Nissan Rice Burner). Well as of tomorrow Nov 1st I might have to reconsider my use of a chevelle for a while. Nov 1st I go to court for my second ticket this ticket is far worse, Speed Racing. Though I'm pleading not-guilty, I'm still preparing for the worse, my insurance will sky rocket. I think the magical age is 25 when most insurance agencies drop rates? Well that to long of time for me to wait when I'm in highschool and working 2 days a week. After highschool I join the Marines and will probably move to Florida where I will be stationed. I hope that insurance companies will be giving me a break for the Marines and over 18. But as of right now I don't know what to do, when my new premium comes in 3 months and gas keeps going up here in Portland, or. Working 2 days a week, i don't know if i can handle it. What do you guys think, how did you others get by? Do i have to say goodbye to my Boo?

Wes Criswell,
Portland Or.
Other Portlandians, drop me a line we'll talk cars. [email protected]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your insurance will no doubt go up, but it may not be as bad as you think. A friend of mine who's into german cars had numerous speeding tickets on his record (bad ones too, 79 in a 55, 50 in a 30, etc)and then managed to get a ticket for racing. When he got nailed for racing, the cop got him on tickets for no seatbelt, a cracked windshield, and running a red light. The fool didn't even lose his liscense. He somehow managed to pay for insurance working odd jobs here and there. Unfortunately, about a month ago, he was playing with his beamer in the rain and side-swipped (and totalled) my co-worker's Porsche. After this, the insurance company had enough and they cancelled his policy.

I don't know about where you live, but where I'm at, the traffic court is a joke. I got pulled over for 62 in a 30 in my snail burner (that would be the french-made POS eagle premier i drove while i restored my 71 cutlass) and they knocked it down to 39 in a 30. The $50 fine really taught me a lesson too....

Just go there and kiss the judge's ass, maybe he'll hook you up with a lesser infraction.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
166 Posts
damn, i hate when i get double posts. i blame it on my girlfriend's laptop....

[This message has been edited by Havoc (edited 11-01-99).]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wes, Did you at least win? Maybe the cop won't show up and you'll get off with just court costs. From what I hear on the street racing sites, some places impound your car for Drag Racing on the street. Here its a minimum $1000 fine if the cop writes you up for Dragin. I think they also take your license for a year. A big time bummer.

Hope you come out ahead. and remember, next time take it to the track, or at least keep it off of busy street (Don't need no innocent people hurt) and watch out for the law

------------------
Richard Dorrough
Tulsa, Ok
'68 Chevelle (CHVLLE)
'70 Nomad (plate ideas?)
ACES # 789

·
Registered
29 Posts
malibu69,
The same thing happened to me when I was 16.(1975)ha ha! I got 3 "wreckless driving" tickets within 1 year.Here in Indiana they have a ponit system.Every infraction = a set amount of points removed from liscense status. Anyway I learned that that 3rd ticket was going to cost me my license,so I hired the town cutthroat attorney to help me out.He pleaded me not guilty and I never heard about it again! Cost me $175.
I ended up selling my first car (66 malibu) because I couldnt afford any more trouble with the law.I knew if I kept driving it would only be a matter of time till it happened again.Seemed like once the cops recognised my car they watched me like a hawk.I sold the car for than I paid because of all the ugrades I had made.Bought a CAPRICE to drive after that.This was an expensive lesson to learn,but the only way to learn for a blockhead like me!
I worked on a farm after school to pay my expenses.

------------------
Tony Leep
Scottsburg,Indiana
64SS Grocery Getter
ICQ 34163913

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
OK same deal as ratchet sort of. Happened in 1977. Cops were on me like flys on dung after the "incident". Just friendly pull overs - no lights. Anyway I kept my ride. Worked two jobs to afford everything. Eventually the ins went down, but not until after I was in college and married ( don;t ask - yet another bad "incident").

I say chill out and see what happens. Don't ever think or say the words " BIG BLOCK" until you've learned to be more covert about your activities. You won't need the car for your first few months in the jarines. And after that it depends where you're billeted. Florida is a guarantee??

It won;t matter if you're driving a 69 chevy or a 84 Ranger P/U, your ins will still be high. So why would you want to get rid of the Chevy? You might consider running it without collision, which is a risk, but it keeps the premiums down.

See what happens first before you react. And hey you futurte jarhead, KEEP IT LEGAL!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'll try to do this without sounding like a lecture but it isn't what is under the hood that matters but what is between your ears. You can't really blame the ins co. if you get dinged for racing. It is hardly an inadvertant infraction.

Whatever you do, keep the ride if you can. Take your lumps like an honorable soon-to-be Marine and look for other legal methods to satisfy your need for speed.

Just remember, keep the rubber side down!

Lots-o-luck

Bob

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I got a speeding ticket when I was 17, I met the State Trooper while topping a hill running 107, locked it down, and slid past him at 86.He had to deal with several cars, and couldn't get turned around , so I take off,run out the road a ways, turn on a small country road, and backtrack back towards him.He would never think of that, or would he.He caught me, just as I was pulling out in the road, 2 miles before he initially saw me.He thought it was kinda smart, and liked it.He scolded me, gave me a ticket for 78 in a 55, and that's it, no attempting to flee, no reckless driving.He said it kinda reminded him of the Dukes Of Hazzard.I paid the fine,$72, but the bad part was the 10,000 word essay the judge made me write about the dangers of driving on today's roadways.

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Registered
138 Posts
Get an attorney!
6 months after I got my license, I was about to lose my license for too many tickets. I got an attorney and paid him a monthly amount for 5 years. Every ticket I got was taken care of. Insurance company never heard about them. It is cheaper to pay an attorney than the insurance company. The cheapest route would be to get crazy when nobody is around.
Just my 2 cents!

------------------

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
When I read this thread I could just scream.

As someone who lost two innocent friends as the result of an encounter with a pair of "Speed Racers" I think you should be walking till the Marines teach you some responsibility. If you were indeed racing on the street I think you should be walking for a L-O-N-G time. Even if this is a first offense.

This is serious stuff not Dukes of Hazzard cute or something where you get a lawyer to squash the tickets. Take your two best friends or a brothe or a sisterr if you have one and just remove them from your life in one quick decisive accident. Visualize that if your mind is capable.

For my money you can think about a Big Block while you walk everywhere you need to go.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wow, Oman, i really am sorry for your loss, but chill out a little. Geeze, everybody makes mistakes and it will happen forever, some people learn the REALLY hard way, and some people just learn the hard way. I agree that malibu69 deserves to get a ticket if he were racing. However, losing his liscense over one racing incident? I hardly think that's fair. I also agree that hiring a lawyer to get rid of your tickets is immoral but hey, if it can be done, people will do it.

BTW, you wanna know what you should do malibu? I'll tell you, drive like an old granny and swallow your pride when some rice rocket pulls up beside you.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
What you don't see is that one racing incident that results in a death (a TOTALLY AVOIDABLE death) is TOTALLY IRREVERABLE. There is no way back from an incident like that: it is done and over FOREVER, no added insurance premium for awhile, no 6 month suspension no nothin just a long cold sleep for the victim.

Read the thread again....there is a cavalier "This is cool" "Dukes of Hazzard" ( That is the most infuriating one) , " I got away with it " kind of flavor. If that 17 year old and the others who wrote in to this ever are unfortunate to kill some one they will live with that knowledge forever. The injustice is that they will however live. The sad part is that the dead are just that they are DEAD. JUST PLAIN DEAD

Keep the damn racin off the street and on the track where it belongs. One gutsy, decisive Judge should pull that "Speed Racers" paperwork if he is guilty of JUST ONE STREE RACING incident, tear it up in front of 'em and make em eat it.

Grow Up this needs to stop.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Forgive me for my "Cavalier" attitude, Let me rephrase it", I got a ticket, and had to pay a fine. Excuse me,my incident occured almost 15 years ago on a newly opened section of 575/515, you should know where that is! There was no traffic, only a lone G.S.P officer, wrong place, wrong time.If you remember, they would only open up one side at a time, so here I went.As for the "Dukes of Hazzard "comment, call the G.S.P for that one, the officer said it, I didn't.E-mail me personally , and I'll tell you the officer's name, or better yet, give me a call,I'm in the toll free calling zone.My number is posted in the parts for sale section.It won't do any good though, he retired 6 years ago!I don't indulge in or promote street racing, If anyone wanted to go race me, we would go to any of the 4 dragstrips around here, line 'em up, and go! Trophy Class costs $10.He is asking for advise about the future outcome of his speeding ticket,and most of the posts would be just like my example above if we didn't include a description!A loss of life is the most tragic thing anyone can go through, and I'm sorry for your friends.I've had friends that were killed in the same manner, but lighten up.I'm not condoning street racing, I'm just giving my experiences.My insurance didn't go up, but I think my parents going to school with the judge helped out.I haven't had a ticket since then, that was in '85.The roads and laws have changed drastically since that time.I have friends that have been on both ends, one killed 2 , spent 7 years in Jackson, he is a Felon forever,and regrets it every day.I had one killed between Chastain and Bells Ferry, on their way home from Six Flags, the lady went home, parked the car in the basement, so her husband wouldn't see it.She was drunk,and her reasoning was, they had just had the car painted, and her husband would see the scratched places and be mad.He turned her in, she is in jail now, and will be for another 3 years .I suggest you don't read any more of my bench racing stories if you don't want to see some "terrible" things,or maybe Gene Chas's stories, we both had some wild times.I know Dale, I should have e-mailed them directly!Don't race!

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 11-02-99).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I've never, ever, and I mean ever seen a wreck during a drag race. I have however, seen about 15 wrecks occur due to incompetent drivers over the years. Inability to merge, and judge proper breaking distances etc. The only real street drag racing that happens in my area nowadays are the Honda racers, and they take it out to remote industrial parks. And still the media paints these guys as maniacs jeopardizing the publics welfare. I think a lot more lives would be saved if the state enforced its driving test policies to adequately ensure that people who receive licenses are competent drivers. Instead of the joke of the system that we have in place now. Its easier for the policy makers to blame a higher profiled segment of the society, then what it is for a larger but yet more mainstream section.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Wes,
Take your lumps, be polite and see what happens. You won't need your car for 3 months of boot camp and maybe longer. A lot of school commands don't let the newbies drive until after they graduate (this increases the chance of living to graduate). Then you will have to take a Driver's improvement course at your first real command. This may help when it comes time for insurance again.
kevin d

·
Registered
174 Posts
been driving about 7 months, have to drive with someone who has had there license for more than 3 years for a time of 8 to 12 months blah blah blah i am going in january to the drive alone license but anyways been pulled over once by a pissed off cop who was arguing with me that i was cutting cars off on a street i wasn't even on after i said i have prove i wasn't there, my dad also said so, then she was really mad cuz she was following a truck and lost him stupid cop, doesn't take much driving skill to keep up to a truck in rush hour.. I was given a ticked for cracked windsheild, 72 hour deal to fix it never got to insurance. but i have been told that is ever you get a ticket for speeding or such call a lawyer that only works with trafic things, here in Ont canada points. They are supposd to be great try finding something like that around you. Good Luck. everyone f's up one time in there driving life. Let everyone know whatends up happening
sorry sooo long

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

W

·
0 Posts
Speed racing? I guess the name has changed a little, here in Maryland the term is "engaged in a contest of speed". Got one of those before you were born, 135 mph on a public street.

Dumbest thing I ever did and I paid the price. I suggest you get a lawyer and face the music. One other thing, confine your racing to an approved facility were the only person you put at risk is yourself.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

W

·
0 Posts
Since when is common sense preaching. How much control do you think you have over a 3500 lb 32 year old car. The difference in the brake systems then and now and the suspension makes the cars damn near Jurasic like.

Yep I bet you are one of those guys who thinks the are in total command an that no dumb ass will pull out from a side road when you are showing your ass.

How about this, if I was the cop and caught one of you, your ass would be under the jail, not in it.

How's that for preaching!

BMA!!!!!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.