Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a set of Legendary Interior door panels for my birthday. As everyone knows, the catalog lists assembled and unassembled door panels. Theres quite a price difference, though I have beem told Legendary is really the way to go, both here on this site, and by other people in person.

From what I have gleaned by searching here, you have to reuse the curved part that holds the panel on the door at the top with unassembled. Is it difficult to do this? I am merely a backyarder.

Is there anything else that needs to be used again, or anything else that needs to be assembled in these panels, is that it? Any other considerations while attempting it?

I feel like this is a real noob question, but I couldnt find any real definitive answer here to all these questions.

Thanks guys,

Chris

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The unassembled ones come without the top metal piece, that is crimped on to your panels. You have to take this piece off, and attach to the new panels. The ones listed as assembled come with a plastic or fiberglass piece installed already.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Call Legendary and talk with them. When I wanted to replace my rear panels, I decided to get the assembled ones. I had to strip everything off the curved metal panels and send those to legendary. By reusing the ones from my car, there was no question that they would fit perfectly. I liked the quality and appearance of their product and work.
Good Luck!
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Read the "Door panel How-To" sticky to see what will need to be done on unassembled door panels.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
I would pay the extra and get the assembled ones ,I did the assembly of mine on my 72 Elky door panels and dont plan to do it again.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Not sure how I missed that sticky either.... :eek:

I think I will probably go with the fully assembled ones.

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
You will be glad you went with the assembled ones , I will NEVER do my own again .It was a royal pain in the a$$ .

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
John you are scaring the guy. They really are not hard to do. You must not have been in the mood for the job.:D It is better to use the unassembled ones, that way you can fit them to your door for a proper fit.

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
Im not trying to scare anyone but its not the easiest project Ive ever done and its time consuming to get them right. Mine turned out great but for about $50 more I would rather not do them again.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
after seeing some unassembled door panals i went with the assembeled ones. they fit perfect, and i did not have to send anybody any of my parts to have put on the new panals.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,823 Posts
Im not trying to scare anyone but its not the easiest project Ive ever done and its time consuming to get them right. Mine turned out great but for about $50 more I would rather not do them again.
Something to think about;

Back in 1986, I bought un-assembled door panels for my 69 and took them and my old ones to an upholstery shop to have the old metal tops put on. When I tried to install them, all of the clips and holes were about 1" above short of fitting. :(

I took the back to the shop and they said it was because they were made wrong. :(
I contacted the place were I bought them and they told me it was the fault of the person that put the tops on. I threw them away and put on a pair of decent used door panels from a 69 that I parted out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts