Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the middle of a suspension revamp on the rear (adding a mini tub and coil overs) and got bit by the “while I’m at it” bug. Now I’m looking to add extended travel coil overs in the front and considering using UMI corner max LCAs with a weld in upper mount. I couldn’t find much feedback here about these arms. Wondering if anyone has first hand info to share? I feel a bit uncertain about the multi piece lower bracket design but at the same time that is the big attraction for me. I know UMI makes quality stuff. Just don’t want to regret these arms. Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
I’m in the middle of a suspension revamp on the rear (adding a mini tub and coil overs) and got bit by the “while I’m at it” bug. Now I’m looking to add extended travel coil overs in the front and considering using UMI corner max LCAs with a weld in upper mount. I couldn’t find much feedback here about these arms. Wondering if anyone has first hand info to share? I feel a bit uncertain about the multi piece lower bracket design but at the same time that is the big attraction for me. I know UMI makes quality stuff. Just don’t want to regret these arms. Any thoughts?
Thanks
By multi piece design are you referring to the fact that the lower shock mount unbolts? That wouldn't bother me.

What weld in upper mount are going to use? does UMI have one?

I have the weld in uppers on my car and the extended coil overs. great setup. :cool:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Troy. Yes I’m referring to the lower shock mount. I noticed Global West has a similar LCA with a simple 1/2” lower bolt for the lower shock mount. I like the looks of the GW but would prefer to support UMI.
As for the upper weld on brackets, I actually have (as in “in the box” not welded in obviously) the Global West, UMI and Chicane brackets in hand. I have a bad habit of stockpiling parts, sometimes unnecessarily. I think the GW brackets are the beefiest but will likely end up using the Chicane kit. I’m running SPC UCAs and they use a 1/2” mounting bolt. If I use the GW brackets, I would need to drill the bolt tubes out to 1/2” and then I’m pretty much stuck there. I may end up switching out the uppers and it would be much easier to weld up the frame as opposed to the GW bracket.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm running the chicane mounts with SPC upper and lower arms.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! I just revisited your build thread. I also currently have the SPC lowers and was wondering about the coil overs. Do you happen to recall the specs or part numbers for your front coil overs? If I keep my lowers and use the Chicane brackets I imagine I’ll be using a similarly sized shock in the front. Your car looks to be in the 1.5-2” drop range...?

·
Registered
27 nomad
60 Posts
Awesome! I just revisited your build thread. I also currently have the SPC lowers and was wondering about the coil overs. Do you happen to recall the specs or part numbers for your front coil overs? If I keep my lowers and use the Chicane brackets I imagine I’ll be using a similarly sized shock in the front. Your car looks to be in the 1.5-2” drop range...?
I put both in and looks good so far. Umi weld in upper mount for the front the lca's with viking c209 shocks. Frame is pretty much done, onto the engine now.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I don't know a part number off hand. They are Veri Shock coil overs. I bought them through SC&C so he speced them. But I do have the invoice in my records.

I have two inche drop spindles that are also tall spindles.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I bought ALL my Upgraded Suspension Parts from UMI Perf :
I purchased the following from UMI Perf and found them to be
of the best looking & quality that I have ever seen/used;
1. UMI Perf 64-67 GM A Body Rear Lower Boxed / Adj Upper Control Arms # 402126
2. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A Body Solid Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit # 403534
3. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Tubular Upper & Lower Front A-Arm Kit # 403133
4. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Viking Front Coil Over, Dbl Adj Shocks # A205-550T
5. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Viking Rear Dbl Adj Shocks # B220
6. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Tie Rod Adjusters # 2103
7. UMI Perf 64-67 GM A-Body Rear Shock Tower Brace # 4059
Also I added the Rear Frame Cross Brackets.

Talk to Ramey Womer [email protected] at UMI Perf
about any questions you may have
and the Top Front Extended Weld On Part for Coil Overs is a must for Drag Racing

Reactions: NorCal-SS

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My confidence has always been high on UMI products and after giving it some thought I think I’ll give the corner max arms a GO along with the Chicane upper brackets (I think those look the best). As far as the coil overs go, sounds like I’m going to need to start cutting and welding so I can measure for ride height. Too many variables to use specs from other. Thanks all!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My confidence has always been high on UMI products and after giving it some thought I think I’ll give the corner max arms a GO along with the Chicane upper brackets (I think those look the best). As far as the coil overs go, sounds like I’m going to need to start cutting and welding so I can measure for ride height. Too many variables to use specs from other. Thanks all!
I agree with you on the Chicane brackets looking the best. It appears that the taller ones would require heavy modification to the inner wheel.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I would post a pic comparing the 3 brackets since I happen to have them on hand. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so...

The UMI brackets are definitely the tallest followed by the Global West pieces. I’m still going to go with the Chicanes based on looks alone, to be honest. But now I’m thinking an LCA that moves the coil over mounting point lower will help get some travel back.

Hope this helps someone in the future. The other brackets will be going on the classifieds

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts