Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought home a CL buy. :D

So as you know my 427 is down right now and the .060 over 2 bolt block needs work. I'm not sure if the bore will clean up and still be good for my rotating assembly. I thought about going with a 2 bolt block and studding it. Then I would need to aline bore and hone the mains and buy a different timing chain to allow for the aline bore hone.

So I was looking on CL and found an add for a 454 block last 4#s 5445. He wanted 450 for it but I didn't want another 2 bolt. I asked if he would be willing to pull the pan so he did and what do you know its a 4bolt block:hurray: Of course I went up and bought it for 400 bucks.

The good,,, its a 4 bolt block that's standard bore:yes:

The bad is that it doesn't have thumb rods and has a cast crank. It also has 360 PP heads. (george?)

Im going to keep the crank and put it in my 2 bolt block and build a super budget 468 engine with all used parts. That will be after I get the new 4bolt 427 going.

Now it will have a virgin .060 overbore to start with and have a super stong bottom end to handle the RPMs Im turning.

Here are some pics:D

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Good score Kevin!

Those are the pistons that I have in my current Super Budget 454 engine, dish and a valve notch. Pretty fearsome stuff!!!

I'll haul your 360 PPs away if need be....stack them with Don's 236 PPs. Future BBC projects. I do have a set of thumb rods for your next build if you are interested. I can bring them tomorrow to the BBQ along with rods for Bad.Samaritan.

Good you got the whole Enchilada. Makes building an engine really easy when you have all the misc crap lying around.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice find Kevin. :beers:
We can bench race that build at the BBQ tomarow.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good score Kevin!

Those are the pistons that I have in my current Super Budget 454 engine, dish and a valve notch. Pretty fearsome stuff!!!

I'll haul your 360 PPs away if need be....stack them with Don's 236 PPs. Future BBC projects. I do have a set of thumb rods for your next build if you are interested. I can bring them tomorrow to the BBQ along with rods for Bad.Samaritan.

Good you got the whole Enchilada. Makes building an engine reall easy when you have all the misc crap lying around.
Perfect yes I will bring the heads. Is it going to be a trade,, heads for the rods? If so Im in:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im lost now, why did you need an align hone on the 2bolt block? I understand that its a good idea if your going to stud it but I cant recall your motor having any issues. All of your problems came from elsewhere.

I was going to strengthen the bottom end. I was concerned about the wear on the bearings. You know the nice wear on the sides. Well I was going to add the studs then have it Aline bored but now with the 4 bolt I wont need to so that saves me the money for the studs and machine work.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Yes, will bring the rods.
they still have pistons on them....sorry, no 60-over sets.
your stock crank will be good for any sane performance level.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Good find Kevin!! I didn't have my block line honed as everything checked out with the studs and main caps bolted on. Good luck with it!!

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may have missed it but why are you going to stud it? Whats wrong with the bolts at your power level?
I would stud a 2 bolt block with the RPMs that I like but didnt do it on the first build. It still had the stock main bolts and looking at the bearing wear it may have had some movement.

With the 4bolt block I will just run a good set of ARP bolts.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just had to get the rest of the engine done so when I got home from the BBQ I headed out to the garage. I borrowed Gregs balancer puller and pulled the balancer. Got the cam and crank out so its down to a bare block.

I have a pretty good pile of metal for the recycler. I did save the cam cover and valve covers. They are in great shape and with a clean up and paint will look new.

Im going to take my air grinder and smooth out the lifter galley for better oil drain back. Just something I would like to do to keep me busy for a few days.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Kevin....
Could well be some cap movement on that one particular bearing
How does your crankshaft from the new 4-bolt block look?

I do have some 4-bolt main caps lying around. Thinking about putting them on my 454 in the garage.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kevin....
Could well be some cap movement on that one particular bearing
How does your crankshaft from the new 4-bolt block look?

I do have some 4-bolt main caps lying around. Thinking about putting them on my 454 in the garage.
All the bearings on the main are worn but they all look about the same. The rods could just be polished up but the mains would most likely have to be taken down .010

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally placed the order for parts needed (some wanted:D) to get the 427 back together.

I got a ring set, ARP rocker studs, pushrod guides, ARP 4bolt main bolt kit, A melling select oil pump built for higher reving engines, oil pick up, and a set of Comp cams new ultra pro rockers.

Valve guides are on order and should be here in about a week or so.

I bought all the gaskets last week. The very last thing I will need is push rods but that will be after checking proper valve train geometry.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like you're on the road to recovery Kevin.:thumbsup:
The stress of the whole thing is gone now. I finally got a good nights sleep last night. I dont sleep good when I have things running through my head.

Anyway its now starting to be fun again.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts