Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 with a 10 bolt and a 700r and a newer driveline all added by the previous owner, I'm replacing the rear u-joint which has the inner clips to hold the caps in on the driveline. I did find the exact same u-joint and when trying to get both clips in it is too tight to get the clips in even though both u-joints mic out the same. It's so tight it's hard to rotate the inside of the u-joint. Not sure why the old one came out and the new one won't go back in without being so tight. Should I force it together and run it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would not force it together.

It is possible that one (or more) of the needle pins/rollers/bearings fell off of the U-joint spindle (I’m not sure that is the correct name) while the cap was being reinstalled thru the driveshaft yoke... and the needle pin(s) is now lodged between the end of the U-joint spindle and the inside of the cap.

Recommend that you remove the U-joint and remove the caps to inspect the needle pins/bearings.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Check the clips to make sure they are the same thickness as the old clips, reuse the old clips if they are in good shape. You can get different thickness clips to get the fit right, u-joints don't always ship with the right thickness clips.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recommend that you remove the U-joint and remove the caps to inspect the needle pins/bearings.
I've checked it a few times, needle bearings are in proper place.
Check the clips to make sure they are the same thickness as the old clips, reuse the old clips if they are in good shape. You can get different thickness clips to get the fit right, u-joints don't always ship with the right thickness clips.
I haven't tried this yet, I'll mic the clips to see if there is a difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Did you clean the cap bores in the yokes good, as in small wire brush, wire wheel, sandpaper, etc if needed, to clean up all corrosion if there was any, before shoving the new caps in there?
That will make them tight, it will flex the yoke ears inward if the caps can't press in easily.

Sometimes at assembly you need to tap all around the ears of the yoke with a small hammet(I like to use brass for this), to stress releive that tension from pushing the caps in.
It lets the ears spring back out to their correct positions, if the cross shaft feels tight but smooth.

You may then need to re-press on the caps after that, to get everything all fully together and smooth in order to get the clips in.

·
Administrator
15,811 Posts
Tapping around the ears as Eric suggests will relieve the pressure on them and allow more room for the clips to easily seat in the groove. The joint should move freely with no noticeable drag when installed correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
if all the above fails, stick a clip to duct tape and hold it against the side of a grinding wheel to remove just a little material
Ideally both clips should be same thickness

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the tips, now this is going to sound really strange, I gave up on it the other night and came back the next day and proceeded to install the last cap as I left it half together, it slipped right together with no binding at all. YEAH! It was really strange how it fixed itself over night. I went to install the driveline and noticed I put the u-joint in backwards so when installed I couldn't get to the grease zerk, ugh, rather than leave it that way because it would hurt me later, I took it back apart to turn it around, guess what, same problem, can't get it together.... After reading a few of these last posts I'm wondering if the ears are flexing and not allowing it to come together all the way. I've put a mic on it several times and it still seems to narrow. Going to try again tomorrow, maybe my garage angel will fix it again for me!

·
Registered
1968 Malibu Convertible, 427, 4 speed.
65 Posts
I have a 68 with a 10 bolt and a 700r and a newer driveline all added by the previous owner, I'm replacing the rear u-joint which has the inner clips to hold the caps in on the driveline. I did find the exact same u-joint and when trying to get both clips in it is too tight to get the clips in even though both u-joints mic out the same. It's so tight it's hard to rotate the inside of the u-joint. Not sure why the old one came out and the new one won't go back in without being so tight. Should I force it together and run it?
I ran into that same problem on my 68, I used the caps from the old u-joint and everything worked fine. I think they are making the new caps a little off and not machined correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts