Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on transporting my 1970 Chevelle a bunch of hours via u-haul auto transport and was wondering if anyone who has experience with u-haul rentals had any tips, advice or thoughts.

I reserved the car transporter through their website and hoping that they have a strong database of car sizes as it would be really frustrating if the car didn't fit.* I also read that using any sort of car cover is a bad idea as it may ruin the paint.* I was considering some sort of transport wrap for the front of the car in case any rocks pop up from the u-haul (I'm renting the truck too).

So that's all the detail, but being it's my first time renting*one I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
249 Posts
It should be fine....check all electrical connections before you hit the road....a good U-Haul dealer will check things out for you. Keep any extra weight toward the front of the trailer to avoid trailer sway at the rear. Never load a trailer of any kind with too much weight at the rear!

Tie down the axles to the trailer & put the car in gear (or park if auto). I’d put the emergency brake on as well. I’m going
from memory so I hope it’s right!

Definitely NO CAR COVER! Clear covering on the front would probably be ok but not really needed.

Your best bet is don’t follow close behind other vehicles especially semi tractor trailers to minimize air disturbance and debris flying around.

You will be fine!

Good luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hauled mine from Indiana to tenesse with one and it did fine.
I was actually very happy with the experience

Good luck

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
U-Haul has strict rules about the size of tow vehicle and you would be surprised at what they say is too small of a vehicle to tow with. A 2015 F-150 was barely sufficient according to U-Haul to tow my 1970 El Camino on their two axle car hauler - this was back in April of 2017.

U-Haul despises legal liability.

Rick

·
Registered
202 Posts
While I was in the Navy, I towed my cars all over the country without incident.

All of the major points have already been covered. My only additional recommendation would be to take the insurance for the truck and trailer that will be offered when you rent. It is not very expensive and can potentially save you a lot of a$$ pain after you arrive at your destination.

Safe trucking........

·
Registered
325 Posts
Chris, here's another tip. When you go to pick up the truck and trailer, bring a tire pressure gauge and check all the tires on the trailer and truck.
I have seen soft tires on rental equipment because nobody checks them. Also, Check all the lights to make sure they are working.

Jim

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I have done two truck and dual axle trailer rentals with U Haul and 3 with Penske. I prefer the Penske units, as the trucks are a bit better furnished and more comfortable, and often their prices are better. Rented it through Home Depot, so the drop off can be done 7 days a week. Some U Haul locations are not open on Sundays. Hauled from PA to FL each time. In 3 of the 5 rentals I had tire problems. Flats or blown tires. One they came out and replaced the tire but it was clearly the rim that was the issue and it kept leaking, but slower. If you have tire issues, figure 2-4 hours lost on the side of the road till they show up and fix it. I have learned to check the tires, pressures, and rim conditions very carefully when picking up the trailer, and dont be afraid to make them fix something before you take the trailer out of their lot. In all cases the on road parts went fine, and with the box truck up front the vehicle is more or less shielded from a lot of wind and rain.

·
Premium Member
6,756 Posts
I rented one of their auto transport trailers in '11 to haul my 68 from West Palm bch. to St. Pete. without any troubles at all, if you're also renting the truck from them they'll hook the rig up and make sure (dbl check them) everything is in order, HAVE A SAFE TRIP :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I've used their trailers twice in the last year to transport my 68 GTO. Towing vehicle was an 06 Silverado half ton. No hassles, no problems, good equipment. Their tie downs consist of front tire nets. I used cargo straps on the front and rear in addition. DOUBLE CHECK THE BALL COUPLING when leaving the dealer.

If you don't mind towing both ways its usually much cheaper to rent as a local for a daily charge than one way.

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
I pulled my '71 home to AL from OH. I used a Uhaul 2 axle trailer, pulled it with a dodge dually. Had no problems whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I used one to get my CHEVELLE to and from paint jail. No issues. Pulled with 03 Avalanche

·
Premium Member
15,841 Posts
I actually love their trailers. Beefy. Easy to use. I rented a Ford Eco-boost and trailer to rescue my kid's blown up car off rt 80 near Scranton. 5 hour pull home. Easy . Prior to that my buddy framer rented a Ram2500 and trailer from Uhaul and we pulled a Chevelle out of Mississippi all the way back to Toronto ON. Easy.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've been using their trailers for 20+ years and have towed my Camaro and El Camino on them. If your car is low you might want to rent one of them that is not all painted orange. Those have a large license plate holder that sticks up in the middle at the back and catches on the exhaust on my car. Rent one that is mostly zinc plated like the one in this video.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I've used them several times. They come out and hook it up and take pictures for their records. The ones I've used had good tires and pulled great. I especially like the driver's side fender that folds down so you can open the door.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Pulled 67 from Kansas to Birmingham, had to go to 6 different Uhaul places before one would rent me a car hauler to pull with 1500 Silverado. 5 wouldn't rent to me unless had a 3/4 ton truck. I like their trailers and have used them many times before buying my own trailer.

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
towed my 66 from ohio to colorado on one they flat work, used my 3/4ton van. no problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just used one for the first time to transport a '70 that I bought from Wa down to SoCal. First time trailering a car & it went smooth. The car fit fine & once the front wheels are tied down using their built-in straps, it won't move. The trailer has its own brakes which definitely helped on the mountain passes through Oregon. One thing to know is you may need an adapter for the trailer hookup. The Suburban has a 7-pin trailer & U-Haul sells the adapter to 4-pin which is what their trailer uses. Other than that, it should be easy. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Have also used them several times, good trailers, easy to use. Do make sure the ratchet straps on each side that anchor the front tires are long enough to get over the tire and then into the ratchet to tighten it down. One time I didn't notice the strap had broken on the previous user and he/she just coiled up what was left of it into the ratchet. I didn't realize it was only a foot long until I went to secure my car on the trailer and there wasn't enough strap to get over the tire and into the ratchet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts