Two piece connecting rods - 30% more torque

1462 38
Interesting…

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,645 Posts
The author of the article admitted this is not new tech as the same principle has been used in diesel and steam engines...probably where it needs to remain.
I think that's exactly where these need to stay, in low revving purpose built engines, like for generators or industrial/agricultural applications.

First person to run this in a junkyard block spinning it to 7k will be walking home.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
The author of the article admitted this is not new tech as the same principle has been used in diesel and steam engines...probably where it needs to remain.
Yes shipboard multi story diesel engines. There is a upper rod with a support that moves vertically and the lower rod that articulates with the crank. These are SUPER low rpm engines.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes shipboard multi story diesel engines. There is a upper rod with a support that moves vertically and the lower rod that articulates with the crank. These are SUPER low rpm engines.
If you look at the skirt saddles and video animation the piston pin appears not to move at all.
They basically invented the shortest and heaviest LS rod.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Actually, and I am NOT an automotive engineer, I think the "hinge" increases the moment of velocity, meaning piston accelerations are higher here. That "joint" causes an accleration moment in the stroke. And clearly relieves some side loading. ????? Numbers yes, force and acceleration equations, not -so much so just my guess.

PS flies in the face of the K-I_S_S principle of which I am a devotee.
The upper part of the connecting rod does not move if you watch the video. It has "saddles" that ride between the upper rod and the inner part of the piston skirt. The upper rod stays straight. All this does is drastically shorten the connecting rod which increases the angle. Also, the increased torque is in the 1500-3500RPM range.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Gas Auto part

·
Registered
835 Posts
The upper part of the connecting rod does not move if you watch the video. It has "saddles" that ride between the upper rod and the inner part of the piston skirt. The upper rod stays straight. All this does is drastically shorten the connecting rod which increases the angle. Also, the increased torque is in the 1500-3500RPM range.

View attachment 754525
I don't know how much they are or what other parts might be needed but I've got a good 5.3 layin on the floor that I ended up with $0.00 into . May be worth taking a swing at it .

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,940 Posts
If it dramatically increases the dynamic compression ratio like they say it does, wouldn't need a much higher octane fuel? As in possibly no longer pump gas friendly?

·
Registered
835 Posts
If it dramatically increases the dynamic compression ratio like they say it does, wouldn't need a much higher octane fuel? As in possibly no longer pump gas friendly?
Good point but I saw no mention of that .
I'm gonna reach out to this company and get more info . Like I said I've got a 5.3 sitting here that owes me nothing . If it isn't stupid money to do it I might just try it

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The way I see it:

The only way that those rods will produce more torque is by allowing a longer stroke crank. The short rods will clear the cylinder walls with the longer stroke crank whereas the long rods would not.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,779 Posts
More TQ down low at the expense of high rpm power, wants to side load the piston? sounds like you'd be turning your engine into a 3-4K max rpm engine..? and New Wizz Bang Carrillo name rod is going to be $$$

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
This looks like a simpler variation of the Atkinson Cycle combustion engine, where the connecting rod is hinged to produce unequal piston speeds up/down. This design does limit the rpm range.

Reactions: 68Chevele
21 - 39 of 39 Posts