Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting…

· Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,800 Posts
Leadhead beat me to it LOL, Newest Whiz Bang Give Us Your $$$ Thing

· Registered
7,628 Posts
I wouldn't put any RPM to these. They have got to be significantly heavier than a solid rod and the extra moving parts make it questionable for reliability.

It seems like the extra power comes from allowing the piston to drop farther in the block, effectively being a stroker without a different crankshaft.

Im looking forward to seeing tests on these.

· Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,800 Posts
The author of the article admitted this is not new tech as the same principle has been used in diesel and steam engines...probably where it needs to remain.
Train Wheels & Cranks come to mind

· Registered
1,704 Posts
It increases torque 1500-3500rpm…
then let’s loose because the engine rattles itself apart. Wonder how much extra weight is added to the crank for balance..25-30%
come to think of it added weight would increase torque.

· Registered
13,846 Posts
Spacers to keep the rod extension in place must side load the piston skirts pretty good. So, why not just make a long skirt piston for use with a short rod. Don't claim to know much but always thought there was a significant advantage to running longer rods to reduce angles.

· Premium Member
24,716 Posts
It seems like the extra power comes from allowing the piston to drop farther in the block, effectively being a stroker without a different crankshaft.
Actually, and I am NOT an automotive engineer, I think the "hinge" increases the moment of velocity, meaning piston accelerations are higher here. That "joint" causes an accleration moment in the stroke. And clearly relieves some side loading. ????? Numbers yes, force and acceleration equations, not -so much so just my guess.

PS flies in the face of the K-I_S_S principle of which I am a devotee.

· Registered
314 Posts
The video shows the piston wrist pin as stationary and fixed at the skirts with composite “saddles”. The new pivot point is just lower on the rod. They say it adds a pivot point but it looks like it is just moving it in a half ass way.

Why wouldn’t you just forge pistons with pins lower to accomplish the exact same thing with short rods, one less pin and significantly lighter?

I don’t think we will see these around very long.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts