Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turn signals finally working (thanks again John), added wires for by backup lights, and even fixed my license plate light. But I still have two more problems to fix before I can get the car inspected.

1. The blower fan quit working. It came on suddenly when I was working on my turn signals (the switch was on when I installed the Htr/AC control) and I don't know what caused it to suddenly start working. But it's not working any more. Suggestions on tracing this problem?

2. Windshield wipers aren't working and I'm pretty sure they did when I got the car. Again, suggestions on tracing this problem?

------------------
Ed
'68 El Camino (Current Project)
'66 Caddy Conv (Cruiser)
'87 Vette Conv (Daily Driver)

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
On the fan (AC car):
Since you have no speeds, first check that the fan runs if you give it 12 volts. The purple wire from the relay under the hood is the 12 volt fan input. Apply 12 volts to that line and double-check fan motor operation.

The fan will always run low whenever Temperature control lever is set to COLD or HOT when the speed switch is off. In other words, problem is probably not with the speed selector switch.

Check the heater fuse under the dash. Be sure that the fuse clips are not corroded and you have 12 volts on each side.

On the lever switch there are 4 wires. Two of them are brown and gray. Brown is the 12 volts from the fuse block heater fuse. Should always have 12 volts. When the lever switch is not OFF or VENT there should be power to the gray. Guessing a problem with the lever switch.
Wiper:
See Bob's input. Should get you going. http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/000771.html

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 11-22-2002).]

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blower problem partially fixed, the Purple wire on the relay is loose in the connector and wasn't seated on the spade. But I have no LOW when Off and no High(est) speeds. Is it a bad resistor if I'm missing High speed?
Does it make sense that since I don't have High speed I also don't get low when it's off with the lever set to Cold or Hot? Or do I have a lever switch problem also?

I'm creating a new post for my Wiper problem.
------
Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Try playing with the high speed first. The high speed is a little different than the other speeds. High speed gets it's power through a separate 12 volt line. There's a large orange wire coming into the blower fan relay. In the line there is an in-line fuse. This line should always be hot. The smaller orange line on the relay, is the coil of the relay. It comes from the speed select switch. When slected on high this line goes to 12 volts to operate the relay. Relay moves and large orange connects to purple bypassing the resistors.
The small orange coil wire gets its 12 volts through the same brown & gray wires as the other speeds.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As always, John, you were right on the money. The High Speed's working now, turned out to be corrosion in the in-line fuse.

Now for a Low speed with the lever on Cold or Hot ?

--
Ed

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still looking for help on figuring out why my blower won't run at low when moving the lever to Hot or Cold.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Trying to keep you from crawling under the dash. Try popping the resistors out and measuring/looking at them. Under the hood near the relay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts