Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ordering an SS stripe stencil kit tonight from Year One tonight. The guy asked me when in 1970 my SS was made, and I asked why??? He said there were two different types of SS stripes available that year, and early model and late model both had different stripes. I said I had never heard or seen that, and he said the early model, which changed in April or May, had smalled stripes with looked the same as the later style. He said the late model 1970 stripes were 'fatter' than the early style.

Has anyone heard of or seen this? Is this documented? Was this guy 'F'ing with me?

------------------
"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is the Chevy Big Block."
-Mark Twain

Sean Thomas
TC #907 ACES #4468
Photo Moderator-americaniron.net

1970 SS 396 L34

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nope, he wasn't F'ing with you. I read in my buddies resoration book the same thing. I don't remember the author of the book, but I have seen it for sale in most Chevelle after market Supplier catalogs. My 70 doesn't have the stripes but if I ever decide to change the look, I figured I would have to investigate this issue further to confirm and probably put the correct dimensioned stripes for the year my car was built.

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's true.Read the 1970 Assembly manual or Paul Herds "Chevelle Restoration" book.Can't believe I found something useful in that book!

------------------
Rick Peters
NCOA#1670-ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heard's....(yech). What was the accepted cut-off date between the two styles?

Apparently you can't get the earlier style of stripe in a commercially made stencil.

------------------
"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is the Chevy Big Block."
-Mark Twain

Sean Thomas
TC #907 ACES #4468

1970 SS 396 L34

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
The cut off date was the first week of april for most plants but Baltimore switched over the 3rd week of march.

------------------

Dean Ciampi
Team Chevelle Gold #52
Aces #3094 MY LS6 CHEVELLE
My Z28

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the two different styles? Or basicly I want to know which looks better so when I order my set I know what to tell them.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr70:
It's true.Read the 1970 Assembly manual or Paul Herds "Chevelle Restoration" book.Can't believe I found something useful in that book!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. Went and check the manual. Found the two different sets of stripes listed...Thanks a bunch.

------------------
-Mark Twain

Sean Thomas
TC #907 ACES #4468

1970 SS 396 L34

·
Registered
425 Posts
To answer Mac70's question, "which looks better???" The newer stripes look much better than the early stripes.

Not to sound like a wise @@@, but why do you think GM changed the stripes??? I doubt it was a safety issue. Had to be the look...
When you see a car with the early stripe it just doesn't look right.

------------------
Bill Taylor
TC Gold Member #73
December 1999 Feature Car
www.chevelles.com/feature/december99.htm
www.chevelles.com/showroom/BillTSS70-2
www.chevelles.com/showroom/leaves2
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/65vette.jpg

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
So a real '70 L78 car would probably have the early style stripes (since the L78 was cancelled shortly after the start of the '70 model year). I wonder how many of the '70 L78 cars at last year's Chevellabration ('70 L78s were featured) had the early stripes.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I scanned the pages out of the book, if anyones interested. Just click on the links below. Let me know if it doesn't work for you and I'll email the pages to you.

http://www.members.home.net/70supersport/stripe1-2.JPG
http://www.members.home.net/70supersport/stripe2-2.JPG
http://www.members.home.net/70supersport/stripe3-2.JPG

------------------
-Mark Twain

Sean Thomas
TC #907 ACES #4468

1970 SS 396 L34

·
Registered
964 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dcarr:
So a real '70 L78 car would probably have the early style stripes (since the L78 was cancelled shortly after the start of the '70 model year). I wonder how many of the '70 L78 cars at last year's Chevellabration ('70 L78s were featured) had the early stripes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought all 5 owners did a great job of restoring their 70 L-78 cars.And all the people were top notch.Noone was wearing a white lab coat and carrying a tape measure.
Not just the L-78 engine cars had the first design stripes,but all 1970 SS Chevelles that came from the factory with D88 Stripes made before the March and April 70 cut off dates would have them as well.So you see now,the engine size was not a factor.
This is a documented fact.....not a Guesstimate.

------------------
Rick Peters
NCOA#1670-ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

[This message has been edited by mr70 (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the pics Gorbe. I'll be hanging onto those for quite a while. Is "stripe1-2.jpg" the early stripe or the later stripe?

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Look at the foot notes and it tells you. The 10.52" wide stripe listed in stripe102.jpg is the early model stripe. A friend and I marked it out on my hood after the wetsanding, and it is significantly more narrow than the one we are used to seeing. The Chevelle hood is very brood, and the stripe didn't do too good a job of filling that hood out, I'd imagine.

But do take a look at those foot notes, as they'll tell the whole story. Another thing I noticed was that on a coupe the stripe stops 2" before the rear window molding, and on a convertable 1.09". Most cars you see now run the stripe right up to the window molding.

Personally I'm supposed to go with the narrow stripe, but I think I'll stick with the later style.

Pretty kewl factoid. Thanks for bringing that to our attention, Rick. That's the good stuff!!

------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
- Albert Einstein

Sean Thomas
TC #907 ACES #4468

1970 SS 396 L34

[This message has been edited by gorbe (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good call! Missed that foot note. So there are three different ways the trunk lid was painted...convertable, coupe, and vinyl roof.

------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
- Albert Einstein

Sean Thomas
TC #907 ACES #4468

1970 SS 396 L34

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're right, Bill, I missed that footnote. So there were three different ways the trunk/fill panel were painted on the early 70 model. There was a convertable, coupe, and vinyl top method. Good eyes.

------------------
- Albert Einstein

Sean Thomas
TC #907 ACES #4468

1970 SS 396 L34

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.