Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to re-install my intake manifold ('68 307 2bbl) and have located two copper flat washers. I believe that they relate to the throttle cable/stock coil mount bracket position. If anyone has this set-up, please indicate precisely where (under/over/against which bracket) they belong. They were initially installed with a purpose, so I want to maintain that function.

Also, give me a reason to scrap my stock coil (for another original-style type) by indicating what symptoms arise when they begin to fail. I don't think its actually faulty, but that'd be one less part to detail during my re-assembly. Please, no suggestions for a 'performance' coil.

And for extra points!...
Please suggest what I should do to service my stock distributor while its removed. Can I simply use brake cleaner to detail the shaft area above the gear? What about cam lubricant? Anything else? Points and condenser will be replaced once I ensure that everything else is back in place and running. (This vehicle has remained too original for 34 years to swap for a 'performance' distributor, thank you very much

Thanks, guys.
Brian

------------------
Brian Scott
1968 el Camino Custom
307-PG Purchased 11/01 w/81k (2 CA owner)miles.
"An eBay success story!"

[This message has been edited by madaboutabba (edited 02-24-2002).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I see now where the washers were in position. One of the four mounting nuts was really tough to remove so I left it to the machine shop (which also had to remove a broken stud & extractor from the thermostat mount). The washers ended up in the box with other small parts. I have no electrical function on my stock carburetor, so the washers probably don't serve a conductive function, right?

I've seen the assembly manual reprints on eBay. Could you recommend any alternate sources?

Thanks,
Brian

------------------
Brian Scott
1968 el Camino Custom
"An eBay success story!"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Speedster- that's some detailing! Were you involved in a full engine rebuild with this distributor project? It sounds like the better part of a day to do it right, as you have. I'm also trying to retain the original configuration while cleaning and detailing here and there. Tomorrow, I expect to finish detailing & installing the 2bbl Rochester, gap & install plugs and then light the burners (does a stock 307 qualify as having "burners"?). Sadly, I expect to chase my tail with re-establishing timing. I think I've read all I can to the point of confusing myself. My rotor now points more towards the 8 o'clock (than normal 7 o'clock position) with crank at zero degrees, but as long as I establish that position as #1 firing, it should still be okay, right?

For now, I only wish to achieve a running engine. If this is successful, I'll replace points and condenser (springs, too?) in short time. I don't need additional variables with my novice skill level!

If you reply, please indicate where I can obtain the cam wick. I don't see it as a listed component when on-line searching the auto parts stores inventories. How about the weight springs?

Take care,
Brian

------------------
Brian Scott
1968 el Camino Custom
"An eBay success story!"

[This message has been edited by madaboutabba (edited 02-26-2002).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speedster-My indication is that the 'normal' #1 firing position on the distributor cap (while viewing from above & facing cowl) is approximately at the 7 o'clock position. However, I also believe that the rotor doesn't care where #1 lies, as long as the correct firing sequence is maintainted throughout the remainder of the cap terminals (clockwise direction, of course). Am I correct with this thinking?

I expect to re-install the carb tonight and fire tonight or early tomorrow. I hope that the carb linkage re-assembly will be trouble-free.

The OPGI discount ends Thursday so I will be buying the 3-edition shop/body/assembly manual set and a couple of reproduction decals to compliment my (...partial) engine bay detailing (the original Tonowanda valve cover decal is still 95% intact, though missing much of the lettering- the air cleaner lid decal was pretty trashed and has now been removed). Thanks for the offer to scan images, I might take you up on that!

That HEI conversion seems VERY tempting as my stock 307 is also my daily driver (fuel economy is highly coveted!).

Thanks again,
Brian

------------------
Brian Scott
1968 el Camino Custom
"An eBay success story!"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts