Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of rebuilding the bottom half of my 454. I was wondering if anyone has tried a 2 bolt conversion to a four bolt main. I read about it in chevy high performance. They say you can change a 2 bolt main to a four bolt with special caps and some machine work. If anyone has tried this Id sure like to know how it worked out. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,071 Posts
Mark,
This is a pretty normal operation for race motors. Matter of fact, most would rather use a 2 bolt block and install splayed 4 bolt caps for all out motors. You can buy stock 4 bolt caps, or if you are building an all out motor, buy billet "splayed" caps. The machine work will range from around $250 to as much as $400 depending on which caps you buy. Caps will set you back another $200 or more. The 2 bolt main block is plenty strong for most street and even a lot of mild race applications. Just use main studs instead of bolts, that helps the strength a bunch.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Mark67ss,
never tried it but i know it can be done.my question is do you need the four bolt mains in your application? i had small block chevys
with 2 bolts that were capable of very high
rpm.while yes a big block is different,the
bearing tolerances were precise.is this change worth it on mild motors?if this motor
is for high rpm say 6500 n over or nitrus
motor i would do it.talk to your best machine
shop.good luck on your rat

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.