Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a good alt keep two batt's charged?I was
reading last night that a msd system should be ran by its self.The problem is I have a lot of things ran off one batt.I have nitrous
two electric fuel pumps,two electric fans,electric water pump,nitrous bottle heater and then all the msd ran off one batt.
How can a guy set up two batt's too take the
load off?I have had a high end miss and cutting out problem for ever and I think it's
due to low volts.Thanks,driver

------------------
<A HREF="http://chevelles.com/showroom/driver10.jpg" TARGET=_blank>My 68 Chevelle @ The Super Chevy Sept2001
E.T 10.886 @116.59 60ft 1.5 1/8 6.838</A>

More 68 pics

70ss sold to team member

G

·
Couple of ways and yes one altenator will do the job as long as you log enough miles to charge them. If this cars is used for short hops, drag strip and not driven on a regular basis, you can't keep one normal battery up. Starting your car just once can take hours of driving to recharge. Use a small gen. at the track to keep the charge going in while you sit around.

There is a niffy little deal called a dual battery isolater, RV places have them. Then there are the switches we used on boats that can run on one or the other or both batteries.

Most people just ignore the MSD notes about the second battery.

Your high end miss may not be ignition related, it could be weak valve springs or a fuel problem causing lean out.

It will be hard to find spraying the motor with joy juice.

------------------
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold 67
1967 Malibu, 2nd owner.
1971 Malibu, been in the family since new.
There is nothing like rowing through the gears at 7500. Stick cars are so much fun they should be a controlled substance!

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wally!It's mostly a track car.I do still think it's volt related because this is
a brand new motor and I had the same problem with my old motor but later found out my new msd dist was bad.I just have so many things
running off of the one batt the volts are not
where they should be when running the joy juice.Low volts on nitrous will cause high end miss-fire.Even in the nitrous book talks
of up grades to msd and volt concerns.Like
you said a small gen would probably be the
best way to go.Thanks Again.

------------------
<A HREF="http://chevelles.com/showroom/driver10.jpg" TARGET=_blank>My 68 Chevelle @ The Super Chevy Sept2001
E.T 10.886 @116.59 60ft 1.5 1/8 6.838</A>

More 68 pics

70ss sold to team member

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Yup, and Wally was correct, check the RV outfits for a "dual battery isolator". Another source is your local High End car stereo shop ("Phoenix Gold" makes them). We used to put a deep cycle marine battery in the trunk for the gozillion watt amplifiers, and leave the fast recovery car battery to handle the automotive chores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts