Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just played w/my motor today thats on the stand. Its fully assembled, has a HR cam. Springs are 140/300+. I noticed that the motor feels like its "ratcheting" when I'm turning it over. Pretty sure its the cam acting on the springs - I can hear valves slaping shut. When I installed tha crank, it did spin silky smooth.

I'm just a paranoid freak. Please tell me that's normal

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah,its normal what you are experiencing.You got valve springs compressing,valves closing,valves opening,and if you have spark plugs in,youre feeling compression.Have a nice day

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not to cause any concern, and I may be off base with this, but you really should not hear the valves slapping shut when it's spun slowly by hand. :noway: Things shouldn't be moving fast enough to cause motions abrupt enough to make noise. This 'ratcheting' sensation along with the noise your hearing makes me concerned as well. Even though your cams duration is short, did you check piston to valve clearance? We need to be certain that your not feeling or hearing the pistons kissing the valves.

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely not P/V issues I can assure you that!

Not so much a "slamming", kinda sounds like a plugging/suction sound when valves closes.

I'm probably making it out to be something more than it is.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
You send "drama queen" to me I'll send you my parts:yes:

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could definitely never be an engine builder...the little stuff just consumes me :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts