Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turn signals on my 70 chevelle are not working, although the Hazard lights work. I Checked fuses they are good, Flasher is brand new checked the wires where the flasher connects. I am getting a reading of 6+ volts when I hit the turn signal lever. What can I check next? What can be causing the turn signals not to function?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Motown
Did you ever get your fuseblock fixed? Just a curiosity question. Couple of questions.
Do your brake lights work ok? Do they work ok with the running lights on? Both rear lights look like the brightness is the same?
When you say the flasher is brand new, you mean the one under the dash and not the one in the fuse block. The car has 2 of them and I'm just asking if the proper one got changed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did fix the fuse box I found a fuse box that had some good clips and I switched the clips. The brake lights works when the lights are on and when the are off and they look bright. The only thing that does not work is the light that goes on when I am in reverse.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Ok
Which wire are you measuring when you get the 6 volts? Also is the flasher can under the dash the brand new one?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The flasher can under the dash is the brand new one. I think i hooked the pink to the + and the purple to the -.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I see where you are measuring. Took me a minute. Wrong place. You are measuring across the can wiring and not to ground. Measure the white wire on the turn signal connector to a GOOD GROUND. Mounted down on the steering column. This is the same white wire that comes from the brake switch connector. You should have a steady 12 volts on it. Also measure the brown wire. It also has a steady 12 volts on it. The turn signal output lines are green and yellow depending on if you select right or left. This is where you should see the swinging voltage I mentioned above.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 12-10-2001).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So which wire should I be checking when I hit the turn signal? Do you think the reverse light has anything relation to my turn signal problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the yellow and green wire. But I was getting a strange reading of -17.6 on both wires. So I went and I touched the yellow wire to the dir. signal fuse and there was continuity and the same with the green. What else can I do?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John I checked the the yellow & green wire and the reading I was getting was very odd.
When I would hit the turn signal or I would leave it in the middle, the reading was still at -17. Do you think the turn signal switch is bad?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like you got your meter leads crossed. The green or yellow wires should be measured with the meter positive on the green or yellow wire and the meter negative to frame ground.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did check. I had the red on green/yellow and black on ground. Then I checked the volt meter and its working fine.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Out most of the day. That time of year. Sounds like you are not getting an output out of the turn signal switch. What to you get when you measure the flasher can wiring? Not across the flasher can but this way.
1, Meter red on purple, meter black to frame ground.
2, Meter red on pink, meter black to frame ground.
Note: The turn signal switch needs to be on (right or left) for # 1 & 2.
3, What do you get when you measure the turn signal switch connector white to ground?
4, What do you get when you measure the turn signal switch connetor brown to ground?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts