Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is something easy........hopefully...I don't have any turn signals at all....both are not working at all........I don't think that it's the fuse cuz it's not burnt.......what else should I check.......I was doing some ignition wiring one day and the next thing that I knew they weren't working at all........I'm a little stumped. :S

------------------
71 malibu350

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Do your 4-way hazzard flashers work? Depress the little button on the side of the steering column and let us know.

You said the fuse didn't look "burnt". Double check it. Many times I've seen fuses that "look" good and the conductor inside breaks towards the end or barely budges.
-Turn the igniton to ON, take a voltmeter or test lamp, one wire to a good metal ground, use the other to probe the fuse. The light should come on (or if it's a meter read at least 12 volts) on BOTH ends of the fuse.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
If the fuse is good, replace the flasher with the flasher for the (working?) 4-way hazard flasher. If the turnsignals work, get a new turnsignal flasher and re-install the 4-way in it's original place.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had thought about the flasher.....but would that make them not come on at all????? I mean no light comes on.......It's not like it comes on and stays on...there is nothing at all.

------------------
71 malibu350

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Do you have stop lights? The turn signals and the stop lights share the same circuit. There is an orange wire that is tied to the brake light switch. Do you have 12 volts to it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright my 4 way flashers work........so now where do I go..........it's hard to do some of these tests without someone to help me........but I'll try again...........by the way does anybody know if it's hard to wire in your own headlight switch to replace the old ones.......is it that hard to do????

------------------
71 malibu350

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Malibu350
Are you still chasing your turn signal problem? You did not reply that that was fixed. The head light switch is on another circuit and has little to do with your turn signals. If you want to change out the head light switch here's how.
1, Remove the negative cable off of the battery.
2, Remove the access panel under the steering column.
3, Pull the head light switch all the way out.
4, Reach under the dash with one hand and find the bottom side of the head light switch. What I mean by bottom is the side opposite from the wires. It will feel like a 2 inch plate of metal.
5, On that bottom surface there is a little button about 1/8 inch round floating on a spring. Push that in at the same time you pull the head light switch shaft. This is the shaft release button.
6, Once the shaft is out you have to remove the switch retaining nut on the front of the switch. A screwdriver will work on the 71.
7, Drop the switch down. Remove the connector.
Close enough?
John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John,
Thanks that sounds like a good start, I probably won't do that till this weekend....I'm planning on removing the part of the dash where the stereo goes and putting in a piece of aluminum for my gauges and other switches that I have.......and I just wanted to be different and have my headlights go there also..........but no I haven't fixed the turn signal problem but you guys have given me a lot to start at........I'm sure when I get my friend to help me it will be something stupid like the light bulb is out or something like that.....thanks for your help and suggestions.........

------------------
71 malibu350

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Malibu350
If you seriously want to chop up a good harness, moving the light switch, and making hell for the next owner.
The same headlight switch is used throughout a lot of 70s cars. The one in my 64 Chevelle came out of a 77 Nova. (Lord, this goes against trying to keep things original).
Go down to a pick-a-part and cut off a 2 1/2 foot section of a Nova harness with the head light switch connector. One by one cut the wires off your original connector and solder and heat shrink tube them to your junk yard wire. Do not use tape. It can and will fall off and can lead to an electrical fire. The colors on the donor piece may be different but match up the pins.
There may be a ground line that the switch goes through. Don't remember but if there is that has to move also.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
BTW
The head light switch is easier to get to on a 71 by removing the 6 screws in the dash pad and taking that off. 2 screws are hiding in the glove box. The Chevelle Haynes manual ($16.00) has some instructions. I forget that sometimes thinking I'm playing with my other car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John,

Thanks for the tips I just bought a Haynes about a month ago for my car.......so hopefully that will help me out.......I've been toying w/the idea of dropping my dash out........off the subject but I need to replace my speed-o cable and can't get to it so I figured that I would have to drop the dash out.......and I don't plan on selling my car to anyone ever...........so I don't mind playing with all of the electrical stuff and making things the way that I want them............thanks again though I have a long weekend ahead of me for rewiring things.......good thing for me I have a 3-day........

------------------
71 malibu350

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Replaced my speedometer on my 72 without dropping the whole dash (Got the right car this time.)
However, my 72 does not have air. Hand up underneath to press in the locking retainer and a unwilling helper (son) to reach over the top of the dash to slide it out. (dash pad removed).
Hardest part was finding the helper to install the new one. Should have named that one Casper

1 - 12 of 12 Posts