Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having more problems with my turn signal. It was working since the last time I was in tech Discussion and today it went out again. The only difference this time is that when the turn signal is off the right turn signal in the dash stays on and when I hit either the right or left signal lever it turns off. I checked the harness with my circuit tester and the light is not blinking when I hit the lever

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You might try checking around at the right front signal bulb. See if it's making good contact and has a good ground. Try that for a first step.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it the harness under the column? I havent replaced that, but I did check it and it didn't blink when I had the turn signal on.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The turn signal switch is in the column like Jim mentioned. Off hand I'm not seeing why the dash light is coming on without the front lamp also coming on. They are on the same wire. That's why I suggested the front ground wire. Does this happen without the headlights on?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Still a little puzzled on why only the right turn signal dash light is coming on. As I mentioned this lamp is on the same wire as the front turn signal lamps. Not seeing where it's getting 12 volts from in the turn signal off position. Maybe the ground side is floating. Just an odd thought for later.
Assumptions:
The headlights are off so it's not coming from there.
Not pushing of the brake so it's not coming from there.
It is coming on only when the ignition key is in the ON position.
Try a couple of things to find out where the dash lamp is getting power. Leave the turn signal switch in the OFF position. Is the right dash lamp still on?
Remove the hazard flasher can from the fuse block. Lamp still on?
Remove the turn signal flasher can? Lamp still on?
Remove both the right front and right front side turn signal lamps. Lamp still on?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it happened again, the turn signal started working and then they died out after a couple of days. I did notice that right before the signals died out there would be delayed and then they completely died out. When my turn signals died so did my heater and the light on the dash that says, "GEN" blinked twice. I switched the voltage regulator and it now the "GEN" light blinks and it makes the horn relay buzz. As for the turn signals they still don't work. I don't know if this is unusual, but when I hit the turn signal to the right and I hit the brake the Left brake light comes on but the Right doesn't. When I hit the Left turn signal the Left light doesn't come up and right brake light does. Do you think it is the horn relay causing all this trouble? Or Do I need to change the turn signal switch? Someone please help?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Just trying to recall what car you have. Maybe a 71? First, as you know, the problem with the blinking GEN light needs to be fixed. Sounds like the output out of the alternator isn't stabile. What do you measure out of the alternator BAT terminal to a good ground?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would check your grounds, Body, frame, and engine. Flakie problems like these usally lead to bad connection or bad ground. Just my .02

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a 70 Chevelle. I checked the voltage on the generator and it was at 15. So I changed the horn relay and the GEN light doesn't come on anymore. What should I do about the turn signals and the heater?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The brakes and turn signals share the same circuit. If you select right or left signals that bulb becomes a flashing bulb while the opposite side is still the brake. Sounds like a bad ground. Check out what was written in this thread for the 70. Problem may be towards the front. Chase the one problem first then move on to the heater. http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/001616.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally figured out what was the problem with my turn signal. The problem was the pink wire w/ black stripe coming out of the fuse box to the directional signals. The wire was broken from the inside, so I cut out the bad sectione welded it, put shrink tape around it, and used tie downs to grab it with a bunch of wire so it wouldn't move around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts