Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put new bulbs and a new turn signal flasher in my car.
the left and right liht on the column comes on but it does'nt blink.Is the problem in the column lights or the turn signal switch in the column itself?
thanks for any help

·
Registered
67 Posts
You could have a burnt out bulb on each side or a bad flasher. What I have done was by-pass the flasher and then you can see if any bulbs are not lit and if the bulb is good then you can test to see if you get 12V at the socket.

[This message has been edited by Dave Flanagan (edited 03-28-99).]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Replace your stock 2 prong flasher with a electronic flasher. Most parts stores have them. They won't stop flashing with one bulb out. Makes it easy to track down a problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
try what dave and patrick suggested.if that doesn't work check your turn signal assembly in the steering colomn.i just had a problem with mine.after getting it back from being painted,everything worked except the rear left signal and the rear left brake.i checked ground,bulbs,wiring,connectors you name it.i didn't think it was the signal switch because when i tested it with volt tester it showed two hots comming from the switch.as i later found out there should be three hots comming from the switch when you step on the brake.if you can find a new one ask if they will let you see if it is the right one.once you get it home unplug your old switch and plug the new one in.you don't have to remove the old one from the colom.when you plug the new one in try the signals and the brake lights.if they work it is probaby your switch.

good luck:elc66

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks elc66,I have an extra columh with another harness andi'm gonna try it tommorrow.I already tried the other stuff and it didn't work. My brake lights aren't working either and hoping it's just the harness.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed out the harness and now my brake lights and blinkers work , but not when I turn the headlights on, whats up with that? I've already checked all my fuses also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
when you turn the headlamps on ,are they bright or are they dim?have some one stand in front of the car.with your lights on step on the brake and see if the head lights dim.also try this with your blinkers.if they dim chances are you have a short.check the new harness to see if you have any leads that are cracked and are grounding out.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Check where the headlights and turn signal lights are grounded on both sides. If they are using the same ground, move one or the other. Or a thorough cleaning of the ground might help.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
ACES # 00140

·
Registered
32 Posts
Be sure to check the ground connections at the lamp holders. Every so often my car does the same thing, the indicator light is on but no blinker. Try jiggling or turning the lamp holder until you get a good ground connection. Since you just replaced the lamps you may not be getting a proper connection.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have'nt had much time to mess with it.I thought part of the problem was my turn signal switch but the other day I hooked up the old one again and now it blinks ,but still not when I turn on the headlights.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I suspect bad ground(s) - check and clean em all. Especially engine to frame and frame to body.

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.