Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a short in my Tach,with it hooked to the distributor the engine wouldnt run, so I removed the Tach, and rewired the entire Tach, now the Tach works fine, engine runs and starts, but now my turn signal indicators and signal lights come on with the Ignition, and wont go off and wont blink, none of my connections go to the signal wires. Did I melt sonething in the fuse block with the short in the tach? Any suggestions? i`m stumped....

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Is this both the right and left side along with the front and rear?
What year?
The hazzard button isn't stuck by chance?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Offhand I don't see where they are getting power from. Turn signal switch is off. Headlights are off, brake is off?

Try pulling the hazzard flasher can out of the fuseblock and see if that turns them off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes John everything is off, the current is running backward from some where. I put my tester on the brake light switch and both connections are hot, and shouldent be until ya hit the brake. I pulled the flasher and it doesnt make any difference, and no the signals dont flash, there just on steady.I`m goin to pull the fuse block from the firewall side, I cant think of anything else to check,the short in the tach must have melted the insulation on something and touched another wire causing the circut to be hot all the time, does this sound possable? any one else got a clue?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Before you pull the fuse block off, pull the individual fuses. See what circuit is providing power to the lights.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ignition circuit. Everything else works fine. pulled the block and no burnt wires, so its back together. The blinkers arent supposed to work unless the key is "on" but they dont blink, there just on all the time.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The ignition seitch operates a few different things. Try pulling fuses and see which one turns off the signal lights with the key on. When you do that be sure to check that only one fuse does it. Try them all.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 04-12-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Just to be sure:
1, Which fuse makes it go out? Second one from the bottom, left hand side?
2, With all the fuses in, the key off, pull the turn signal connector off. A large strip connector on the top of the column. Turn the key on and see if the lights are off. If they are, measure each connector pin in the harness side of the connector. Use a test light or meter. One end on the connector pin, the other to ground.
See which pins have voltage on them. None of them should but if pulling the connector makes the lights go off, one of them will.
Basically trying to what things make the lights go off. This should narrow down where the short is without ripping things up.

*EDIT*
Looked at a schematic. Expect you will see power on the hazard wire on the harness connector. Curious if you don't see power on the white brake wire. Earlier you posted that you had power on both sides of the brake switch. I think with the turn signal connector pulled, it's not happening anymore.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 04-12-2002).]

·
Registered
388 Posts
Had a bad ground wire on my instrument panel cause the t/s lights to stay on all the time too.looked cool at night though

------------------
Joel
T/C#980 1968 SS396 CHEVELLE

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John, the second fuse from the top right hand side makes the signal lights go out. My fuse box has the markings worn off and I cant tell what label is next to this fuse, do you have a lable chart? I pulled the harness into, where you said, and power is not on anything except the horn wire which honks the horn when grounded, I think that is correct. When the key is on only the brown wire pin is hot. So is something grounded that shouldnt be? or something not grounded that should be? Is that the correct fuse location for power to the turn signals? obviously not an electrical genius am I ...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
That fuse is for the tail lights if memory serves me.
When you disconnected the harness from the turn signal switch, did the lights go off as you turned the key to on? Guessing they should have.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WELL, Slap me with both hands!!! The car has no blinker on the emergency flasher, when I lowered the column to remove the tach, I pushed in the flasher button on the column,on accident. So the blinker lights on all the time...Thanks for the help, told ya I`m no electro genius..

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Muha:
Is this both the right and left side along with the front and rear?
What year?
The hazzard button isn't stuck by chance?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Email me a beer and we'll call it even.
John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts