Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read motown's post and I think I do not have a similiar problem. All lights including the signals work on the back. All the lights work on the front. Only the front signals are not working. They were working last time I checked. Wife noticed they were not working when I brought the car home after having a new exhaust system installed. She does not remember if they were working when I took it there. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'll try this from memory. No books to double check myself at the moment on 69 wiring. Maybe this is close enough.
Thought each of the front directional indicators each had their own ground wire. A little strange both fronts are out. If both directional indicator lamps on the dash are working try this.
Remove the front directional lamp bezels so that you can get at the lamps.
Turn on the turn signal so the rear lamp is flashing.
On the front lamp, take a piece of wire, touch 1 end to the bulb base near the glass. Touch the other end to a known good frame ground. If the lamp starts flashing you have a bad socket ground or a bad socket. Not flashing?
Remove and check the lamp to make sure it is good. Lamp good?
Inside the socket there are 2 contact points for the lamp. Brown goes to one of the and blue to the other. Brown is the running lights and blue is the turn signal. With a meter see if there is power to these contacts. My preference is to use an analog (real meter) type VOM to check turn signal wiring. You can determine which contact is which by pulling on the head lights. The contact for the running lights (brown) will then have 12 volts. You are interested in the other contact. The directional contact (blue) should have a voltage that makes the meter swing. Look like 0 volts - 10 volts - 0 volts. If the inside dash lamp is working this also should be working. If it is, try a new lamp anyway. Sometimes the soft contacts on the lamp flatten out and cause intermittent problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I replaced both flasher cans. I also replaced the two park/signal bulbs. They still do not work. The rear ones work fine and the indicators in the car are blinking. I tried using a probe on the front but it will not light up. I clipped the probe to the frame and put the point on a contact (did both) and pushed itt in just like the light bulb would do. What am I missing?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It's odd that you don't see voltage on either lamp. Since the inside lamps are working, there is power (voltage) coming out of the turn signal switch. The same 2 blue turn signal wires that power the dash lamps also run the 2 front turn signal lamps.
Still think it's a ground problem and hate to send you around the car checking all the grounds. Perhaps the probe you used isn't working too well for you because the voltage is not steady. One reason I prefer an analog meter to make this measurement.
Try one thing first. On the bottom of the steering column there is the long thin turn signal connector. Coming out of it there are 2 blue wires. These are the power lines for the front lights. Check to see if you have the pulsed voltage on these, to ground, with the turn signal on. You should because the dash lights are working. If you don't see it, I suspect your probe isn't doing the job. If you do see it, try re-measuring the front lamps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found my problem. It is the connectors that connect the wiring harness to the parking/turn lights in the front. If I wiggle the wires they will blink. Does anybody know where I can get new connectors? I tried all the local parts stores and I just get that blank look. Year one's catalog does not show anything. Any ideas?
Thanks John for all your help.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I would still suggest you get on the connectors with a meter. I still have a hard time believing that the front connectors have an open wire, both occurring at the same time. More than likely it is a poor connector connection between the harness half and the turn signal pigtail connector. It looks like you have dirty connector contacts. Try cleaning the contacts up. If that doesn't work you may get away with changing the harness side only. Maybe someone else knows but I don't know where to get the lamp side without buying the whole lamp assembly. M & H might sell you the harness side that you can solder on. www.wiringharness.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for your help. I am planning on going through it again but I would like to get the connectors replaced and/or cleaned up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it fixed. The problem was in the connectors. They were pretty dirty and the tabs were bent. This probably happened when I was re-taping the wiring harness. I cleaned and staighten them out and hooked it back together. Now the signals work great.
Thanks John.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts