Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turn signals in my 67 Malibu would not cancel and horn doesn't sound either. I started to remove mechanisms and found 3 small springs and 2 metal parts that look like some kind of spring clip. I have no idea now what I need to do to fix my problem. Does anybody have a good exploded view of the assembly?

·
Registered
132 Posts
See Rusty66's post in, Turn signal not returning, and click on the link attatched.
It's a good picture of the turn signal cancelling springs.
Spring part #s are 1964784 and 1964785.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Longboarder:
See Rusty66's post in, Turn signal not returning, and click on the link attatched.
It's a good picture of the turn signal cancelling springs.
Spring part #s are 1964784 and 1964785.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for info on cancelling springs, will try to get them tommorrow. Still wondering about the three springs rolling in the bottom of housing, where did they come from?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Mlrailguy. In this side of the column there is one rather wide (1 inch) spring to keep pressure on the shaft in the middle. I am quit sure that is not what you mean.

The only other springs at this end are supposed to be within the cancelling cam to hold down the 2 sliders in the directional switch. These are some 3/32 inch in diameter and perhaps some 1/2(?) inch long. I do not have a picture of this. Are your signaling lamps working properly ?

Are you sure the parts you see are not the remains of a broken return spring ?

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a couple fragments which I believe to come from cancelling springs. The three small springs measure approx. 5/16" dia. and 7/8" long. Could they have been behind bearing housing? Hopefully the Chev garage will have some good exploded views of entire column.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I looked into the 66 and 68 manuals (don't have 67). In the 68 manual I see 3 springs just above the locking plate, which is just behind the turn signal switch. Do you have such a lock. I could scan the 68 view for you (pleasse e-mail me). Your column is non tilted I assume.

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I e-mailed you, did you get it?

Anyway, it is a non tilt column with shifter for auto. I tried putting springs on screws behind the bearing housing, but the assembly won't go all the way in and blinkers won't work this way either. If I remove springs and put assembly into housing just close to being lined up with all holes the blinkers will work. Well the left side flashes, the right side comes on but doesn't flash. Think the turn signal housing is at fault, bulb doesn't seem to go in right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts