Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to figure out why my right turn signal won't work when my lites are on. It looks brighter like when the signal is on but it doesnt flash. When lites are off it works fine Left one works fine. I put new flashers when the dash was redone and that didn't solve it, new bulbs and used housing making sure the ground was good but didn't help. Any ideas anyone? Getting frustrated. I must be missing something here. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If all the grounds are good to the front bulbs, try changing the turn signal flasher can. It's under the dash near the radio. Buy a cheap one. They are around $3.00 at the auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
There are two types of flashers one is load dependend and one is not. Install a hazard flasher and if the light comes on it will flash. The reason is there is a heating element across open contacts when first energised. There is a bimetal arm (warps when heated) that closes the contact and turns on the light. With contacts closes there is no current through the heater and it cools and opens.
The other type is normally closed. You must have the current of at least two bulbs to draw enough current through the bimetal arm to open the contacts. These are also current dependend and will flash faster with a trailer.
There are two flashers one for hazards if you have one and one for turn signals. I would say you have a bad ground or a burned out bulb. Turn on the headlights and the flasher at the same time and see if it flashes brighter or out. If it flashes off there is no ground.
Mark

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mark, I'm not much of an electrical guru so I can use all the help I can get. I plan on working on it today. I am going to recheck and make sure that the ground is OK and also the bulbs again. Thanks to you and John for helping me. Thanks Mark for the explaination of the flashers.Like I said I can use all the help I can get when it comes to electrical but I'm willing to learn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts