Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might have a bad turn signal switch. I did have my brake lights and turn sinals working, but no hazards. Now I have hazards on one side, but no brake lights. I already changed the ign. switch. My key is messed up too. If you wiggle it, the buzzer will go on and off. I'm going to change that too. While I have it apart I'm going to change the turn signal switch. Is the hazards part of that, or is that something else I need to change. What else is left that it could be. Any guess where the problem might be. Thanks. Cal

------------------
TC Member # 1308

my trailer queen
future racer
justins 67
cals caminos web site

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Sounds like something in the column harness.

The right and left circuits are isolated from each other in there. Do you have a wiring diagram of your car? If so, check the power going into the column for those circuits first. Then check it coming out.

It could be as simple as a loose connection in the column harness plug.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 06-21-02)

"Long Live Freedom!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #4556
'68 El Camino, 357, L31 Vortec heads, 700R4,
8.2 10-bolt, 3.55 gears, Auburn Pro Posi.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Do you have power out of the brake switch? The turn signal switch has 3 inputs, brake, hazard, and turn signal. Did you try swapping the flasher cans and see if the hazard problem goes away?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chad, looking at my scamatic, I can trace every wire from the turn sig switch to the exact area's where I was having the problem's. I bet you're right about it being a loose connection.

I have to put in a new key assembly, I might as well go ahead and put a new turn sig switch in while I have the steering wheel off.

Is it a big deal to change the key assembly. I just glanced at the instruction's enough to know I have to pull the steering wheel.

I was going to do it tonight, but the skeeter's are bad. And there was a race horse that just died frome the "NILE" just a little way's from here.

John, I see you replied while I was typing this.

The brake light's and the turn signal's were working. Then I tried the flasher's and they didn't work. I've had everyting working, just not all at the same time.
The new turn sig switch was less that $30, and the old was 30 year's old. So what the heck.
Now everything will be new. I just hope it fixe's it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the ign. switch, turnsignal switch, and the flasher. I now have no hazard's, door buzzer, or brake light's. I checked the power going to the brake light switch. When I first checked the orange wire, it was hot. Then the white was dead. Went back to the orange and it was dead. I swear it was hot the first time. All fuses are good.

When I check the connection at the plug for the turn sig. switch, everything is dead. Except when I put it on the black wire. That causes the horn tho honk. Also when I put it on the pink the door buzzer goes off. Could this be a ground problem. Where would I find the ground on the SS ediot light's.

I'll check for ground first. I followed the orange wire, and the white, wire back to the fuse block. You think I should pull it and see what it looks like on the back side. Cal

[This message has been edited by 72sselcamino (edited 08-03-2002).]

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Not home this weekend, no schematics. Easiest to stay with one thing at a time. Unplug the turn signal connector. Measure the brake switch wires again. If you don't see 12 volts on the orange wire, measure both sides of the fuse and the fuse clips. Sometimes a fuse looks good or the fuse clips do not make good contact with the fuse. The orange wire comes off the fuseblock.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked both side's of the fuse as well as all clip's. Everything was hot. Then I pulled the fuse block apart. The orange wire was dead. It also fed the hazard circuit. It ended up being a coroded fuse clip. I tried cleaning them with a small wire brush used for cleaning a rifle, but I couldn't get enough rotation to do any good.

What's the best method for cleaning the fuse clips. Would it be ok to put dielectrical greese on them. Thanks for all the help. Cal

[This message has been edited by 72sselcamino (edited 08-04-2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts