Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The blinking rate of my turn signals are very slow. I'd say 4 seconds on, 4 seconds off.

However, my flashers are a respectable rate.

The little round container that controls the flasing speed, let's call it the Flasher Relay, is easy to get to. BUT, given the different speeds for each condition am I to deduce there are two of these guys? Can I swap them and be GTG?

If not, how do you go about getting a new one that well flash at a faster rate, AND be a direct plug in?

Are the speed characteristics somehow stamped onto the casing of said Flasher Relay?

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yes, Mikey, there are two of them...one for the flashers and one for the turn signals. Before you go spending alot of diagnostic time and money, try switching them and see what happens. The best flashers are the heavy duty ones where the "can" is about 1 3/4 inches long. You will see the shorter ones advertised as "heavy duty", but they aren't really.

BTW, I'm going to be visiting a good friend in Huntsville later this month. Should I just show up at your door for a free beer or should I call ahead.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vettefella:
I'm going to be visiting a good friend in Huntsville later this month. Should I just show up at your door for a free beer or should I call ahead.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either is fine by me. I'm seldom home, so calling ahead would be a plus. It could even work out so us and the other local chevelle guys all go out and get a bite to eat. They aren't much of drinking folks, but I more than compensate for that.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Mike go to a place that sells trailers and get a heavy duty flasher. Sometimes on the pickups when a trailer has a lot of lights, it slows down the blink rate like you have. A HD flasher can speeds it right back up. I don't know why this is though.....

chris

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
FIRST, check to see that all the bulbs are good. Blinking speed is dependant on current draw, for NON-HD flashers. Burnt out bulb= lower draw= slow flash speed. This is a safety feature, it tells you that there are dead bulbs that need attention.

SECOND check to see that you have a flasher rated for the number of bulbs you have. THIS is why tow vehicles use the HD flasher: it is not dependant on a certain number of bulbs to work properly. When you add all the bulbs in the trailer, the increased current draw can cause the turn signals to flash TOO FAST with a regular flasher.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Ooops! Apparently my rembmering the speed change was backwards! I just remember wrong speed meant get a HD can.....blah blah excuses....
Sorry Mike!

Thanks Schurkey for clearing that up! (I'll pipe down now....
)

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's all good. even wrong advise is welcome in my book. Give's me someone to blame it on.

I didn't get around to fixing it (what aint broke) today.

Will find out before CB02.... utto, that's in a few days.

------------------

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem fixed.

Got a replacement piece at Advanced Auto. part number was an EL12. "Dixon" I think was the brand name. This one cost $8.

Sad on the package: "load does not affect blinker rate". so a bulb can blow and your still somewhat better off.

-Oh, and the hazards flasher is on the fuse box.
Couldn't get it off though, and didn't want to break it.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.