Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to remove and replace the turn signal switch assembly? Mine has a converter that switchs it from the bar like connector to the curved connector(new AC-Delco unit in original box).

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, PB, PS, PW, cruise control, A/C, gauges.
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
[/list]

·
Registered
177 Posts
You'll have to take all the pins out of the connector(write down the colors and what slot they are in. Take steering wheel off, there are other things that must be removed to get at the turn signal switch(I don't remember what off hand) Then there are like 3 Phillips head screws holding the switch once there out you should be able to pull the switch with the wires right out. BEFORE you do tape the wires into a stream lined bundle so that they will slide up through the column also tie a strong piece of string to the wires before you tape it up this will aid the fishing of the wires going back down through the column. Tie the new switch wires on to the sting and reverse the process.

Hope you can make sense of this.

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got the switch out and i am ready to pull the wire bundle out, but the connector doesn't look like it will go through, the tilt wheel mechanism is in the way. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your going to have to take the wires out of the connector. Use a small scratch awl to slip the clip on each wire, to get them out. Write down the color wire and slot it went into before you take it out.

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cannot seem to slip the wires off the connector. Mine has the flat connector, with a convertor that is seperate that changes it to the curved type. how do you use the scratch awl to slip the clip?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts