Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gauge cluster '70 dash, converted from idiot lights to gauges last winter. My problem is in the turn signals - when I use them, both sets of dash lights light up, alternatively, bright then dim, but both remain lit.

Signals appear to work fine from outside the car.

Any step-by-step process I can go through to fix this litte nuisance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Check the screws that hold the circuit board to the back of the dash housing.They also act as grounds for some cuircts. I had a similer problem that acted on&off for years. Turned out that one of the screws where not tightened all the way to make good contact. Jim.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I had a problem like that, the front bumper wasn't grounded because the filler panel was missing. I ran a wire to it and it works like new. You've definitely got a ground problem somewhere, something's getting it, but the connection's bad.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino
Originally was & will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black/black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PDB, PW, Tilt, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Also, check out my new 1987 Chevy Caprice Coupe!
Other Restorations - 1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
Team Chevelle Member #995

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts - I checked the operation of the signals outside the car this weekend - they work fine whether the headlights are on or off.

Because they worked, I did not check the connections at the housings or for the bumper. I will do that in the next day or two. I will also double-check the back of the dash and make certain those are tight, I know they act as ground connection for the pcb. My housing overall has more than one good ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts