Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '71 Chevelle, my turn signal lever is sloppy. When I push it down for left turns it's OK, plenty of room, but when I push it up for right turns, it almost hits the edge of the opening on the column. It's almost to the point where I won't be able to make it click on. How do I fix this?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like the turn signal switch cam is broken and the screw in the switch lever has become loose. Tightening the screw may not help. Usually the cam splits next to the screw hole and the screw just loosens up again. If you look through the side hole where the lever goes through the column, you may see a break in the plastic. Know how to change these or do you need some instructions?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
This is not hard to do but it is a little involved to type. I'll probably miss a couple of small steps along the way. However, since this is your first attempt:
1, Spend some bucks and pick up the Haynes Chevelle manual. It has some disassembly instructions and pictures. It has the basic steps. Book is available at Pep Boys or one of the other chain auto parts stores.
2, Go down to your local pick-a-part, find any mid-70's car, (Nova, Camaro) and attempt it on a junker. The same cam is used up into the 80s. This way you will have a good idea how it comes apart. Otherwise you risk breaking something going at this blind. You may run across a good cam in the process and pull it out. You will probably need it. The switches are not the same for every make and model, but the cams are.
Things you will need.
Steering wheel puller
Lock ring compression tool
#1 and #2 Phillips screwdrivers
Couple of small straight slot screwdrivers
True arc pliers
3/4 or 7/8 socket (can't remember which)
Couple of ideas to take things apart.
1, Remove the battery cable from the battery.
2, Pull the steering wheel.
3, Below the wheel is the steering wheel locking ring. Using the lock ring compression tool, push down on the plate. Spread the ring with the true arc pliers. Catching it underneath with a small screwdriver normally works.
4, You should see the screw that holds the turn signal lever on. Suspect it is loose because the cam cracked. Slight possibility it will tighten up but it's a better chance that the plastic cam cracked.
To remove the cam
1, Remove the screw for the turn signal lever.
2, Remove the flat springs on the right hand side.
3, The cam should now move freely around the pivot. If you look down inside the pivot you will see a small plastic tab. This needs to be released with a small screwdriver.
4, One of the other plastic tabs, the cam pivots in also has to be pushed back for the cam to come out.
As I suggested try this at a junkyard first. Changing the cam will keep you from replacing the whole switch.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tedixon:

I have a similar problem. It is possible to repair the cam with epoxy?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anything's possible with JB Weld. My guess would be if it just cracked, I guess it would work. Be hard to change it later on without chipping the JB off the lever. If the cam has become brittle it will just crack again. I can still find nice ones off 80s cars out here and can pull them off fairly quickly. May find one in the HELP section at the auto store and they are available through the resto suppliers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts