Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 70 chevelle SS turn signal indicators on the dash come on when I turn my parking or headlights on? They stay lit but very dim and then when I put my signal on, the opposite indicator flashes yet the correct turn signal itself flashes! Did some wires melt together and how would I even begin to try and correct it? FYI... Wiring is not my best subject!

Thanks for any input as always,

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
sounds like a grounding problem. Make sure
you have a good ground wire from the negative
battery terminal to the fender of the car and
a good ground from the dash cluster to the
car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You say when you turn on your left turn signal, the left turn signal lights on the outside of the car come on, correct? The problem is inside the dash, the wrong turn signal light comes on is this correct?
When you make a left turn the dsah shows a right turn and when you make a right turn the dash shows a left turn.

Has it always done this or did it just start?

I just had the complete dash out of my 69 Chevelle, replaced all of the dash bulbs, had the odometer fixed, refurbished the dash, new paint and silver (Chrome), high lites. It looks great and works great, I also replaced the headlight switch.

Let me know, I've done a lot of car wiring in the past.

I had a 62 Corvette years ago and I had a fire in the engine compartment, I rewired the whole front end.

Do you have the car manual that shows the wiring diagram for the instrument cluster, you need to get it. It shows all of the correct color code for the wiring.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The condition you described is most often tied to the grounding of the instrument panel. I would say that you have a broken ground connection from the body to the instrument panel.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A very common grounding problem occurs at the front directional lamp mounting bracket where it attaches to the front bumper. I finally soldered, years ago, a ground wire to each front directional lamp socket and grounded this wire in the engine compartment under the same screw used for headlight ground. At the very least, remove the front directional lamp fixtures from the bumper and clean ALL rust and corrosion with some emery cloth. Then, be sure that the mounting screws are snug when you reinstall the units. Do both sides. Believe me, after you've driven one car for over a half million miles, you've seen it all!

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts