Chevelles.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69 Chevelle 250 inline 6 starter only engages when you jump it with a screw driver car then runs ...

until you turn on the headlights then it just dies ...

new optima battery alternator checks out good .....

Ignition switch ?

starter is good and so is soliniod purple wire to starter also does not get voltage when key is engaged ...fusable link also is good ....

any other ideas here I'm stumped ....

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Interesting the headlights make it die. Have a good ground to the right inside fender?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one other thing i found out the steering wheel was replaced with another stock gm wheel ...anything in that area cause this ....the car looks to be untouched but obviously has been...what wire is it im looking for under the hood by right fender ?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I take it it's in the wire loom along the firewall
could that also be the sarter needing to be bump started ? 2nd starter I'm on with no results the headlight deal was found by accident to see if all lights lit

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Maybe a little clearer.
There should be a wire from battery (-) to the inside of the right fender. This is the ground for the headlights.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
What do you read on the large terminal on the back of the alternator? Measure this terminal to ground after you get the car started.
Almost sounds like the voltage is low to kill a running car by turning on the lights.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will measure that today ..but the same type of battery in another car will run it with out alt. all togehter ..thats why bought the optima ...not to sound ungrateful or anything,,I will measure those points and see what comes of that,

With that steering wheel being RnR'd could someone have knock off a ground point or just damaged something in the column,
I talked to the previous owner, I just got the car yesterday....He told me after manys questions ..that the starter problem began right after the wheel replacement,and that
He knew nothing of the kiiling of the ignition with headlight because he never drove the car at night ,,,less than 50 miles in the last 2 years...
I got the car before it was pulled apart and a bigblock put in he had planned..said nothing was changed other then the starter and the steering wheel to his knowledge, other than a new suspension.....

Very original car ..If that helps any,
all factory original stuff in the car ..No aftermarket radio's,gauges etc.....

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Don't have an easy or instant answer. Just trying to chase it down. Won't be a ground issue with the column.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok that makes sense.
I think I may be chasing two different problems here ..1st the purlpe starter wire not getting voltage when key is turned ,,then the shutting down of the ignition system with the headlights on ..
I really dont want to add a bump wire to start the car considering it's an original car ..I would really like to start there with the starting of the car and then move over to the Headlight issue

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by 4MyChevelles:
Ok that makes sense.
I think I may be chasing two different problems here ..1st the purlpe starter wire not getting voltage when key is turned ,,then the shutting down of the ignition system with the headlights on ..
Maybe, but they are not tied together or shouldn't affect each other. Just trying to see what's where.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok the ground wire that was disconnected from the right fender is now hooked to a good ground ..car won't start ..pulled the wire off the grounding point it fires up ........of course after bump starting the starter ....another bad soleinoid cause this ?

I know you said the two problems are not connected together but this is really weird ..

I'm really stumped on this one

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
..pulled the wire off the grounding point it fires up
Lost me on this statement.
If you can bump the solenoid/starter problem isn't with them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok the ground that was missing from the headlight harness ...I found it and connected it the car would not start at all...bump it etc....would just crank....When I disconnected it the car would run ..when bumped only ..at no point would it crank without buming the starter

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I assume the ground wire just leads back to the headlight sockets. There should be one for the left hand lights and one for the right hand lights.
Which was it?
There is no ground wire leading up the foward lamp harness to the bulkhead connector in the firewall.
I should be around more today.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GOT IT!
you know what is was, that ground Ithought I was looking for was'nt a ground. it lead to what appears to be the headlight relay ...(right side)thats the fender that was R n R'd
I was about to give up then I said heck let's try this ...
I hooked the black wire to the postive terminal of the battery ...
we got ignition no bump start Headlight's are bright ..all Is well in my little world today...Thank you for your input It did lead me to the problem area.

When it was said that the grounds don't tie in together for ingition and headlights only one thing could ...It's power source...

Thanks again John.
Rick

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
GOT IT!
Thanks again John. Rick
Didn't do much except play bartender. Sometimes it helps to talk about the problems until the light clicks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts