Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 Chevelle 350 2bbl with a THM 400 tranny. I could not find a filter kit for the 400. Parts stores only carried one for the Turbo Hydra-Matic 350. Does anyone know if these use the same kit? Also, what are the differences between the 350 and 400. Thanks in advance for all responses...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Summit(800-230-3030) has the filter and gasket kit for $9.50 for your car. The TH 400 is the heavy duty tranny usually installed with big blocks. Is your motor original? The pan is much larger and different than the TH 350 (Probably how you found out it was a TH 400). The TH 400 also takes more horsepower to run and will be slower than a TH-350. Why don't you order a nice 4 barrel and manifold and trash your 2 barrel!

------------------

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
The TH400 filter kits were probably on the shelf next to the TH350 kits. This is way to basic to screw up, you should have said " I need a kit" and without looking it up a good parts person could have pulled it for you. Did the computer say it wasn't available for your car? No offense intended but if they don't understand cars they should be selling groceries or lumber not parts. Of course this is just my opinion and I have been spoiled by my local jobbers who have all hired knowlegable counter persons. Philip

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 06-13-99).]

·
Registered
172 Posts
The parts guys around my town are strictly "do it by the computer". No common sense.I go in for a part and they say "what year chevelle? I say 67. What size engine? I answer 454. At this point their eyes just glaze over and stand there for a second staring into the computer.Then I realize who I'm dealing with and say "ok the engine is a 396 Now can I have my header gaskets?"

------------------

JoeS
"67 Malibu"

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Can you imagine going to Auto Space Zone and tell them you have a 1969 Chevelle and you need a thermostat gasket. You tell them it has a 502 in it and he wants to know if it has air conditioning and plus they want to know if you have power brakes. It is a wonder
if they don't ask you what color is it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey plain69, you are too funny! You bring back nightmares I used to have when I built a 48 chevy with a 327/th350 ,mustang front suspension.chevlle brakes..etc.etc

------------------

JoeS
"67 Malibu"

·
Registered
548 Posts
When I used to order parts for my 34 Ford I gave all the details like radio,heater,and white wall tires now can I have a tail light bulb. Please...FRED

·
Registered
14 Posts
DSMITH (and all previous replies),
I know how you all feel, just try getting and intake gasket for a 350 c.i. which just happens to be in a '73 Vega!
I ask for a gasket for a pre-80's 350 and he insists that they need the type of car that it's in, I tell him that it's not going to help over, and over again. finally (in frustration) I said '73 VEGA! and "Einstein" says "They don't make Vegas with 350's".

Some days you wish genocide was legal!
Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, mine is ALL ORIGINAL. And they still dont have a clue. I decoded the build sheet to discover I have a Turbo-Hydramatic 400. I thought I had a THM 350. Go figure. Glad I have the build sheet. Thanks again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.