Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the seemingly bogus LS6 Chevelle on E Bay made me wonder again about 400's with SHP engines.

In the case of 69 Corvettes, all the Special High Performance and Heavy Duty engined cars (435's, 435's w/L89, and L88's) when equiped with automatic transmission had a different 400 that was called YC or something close to that. It had a 6 bolt torque converter and shifted much harder than a stock 400 and the shift points were moved up into the mid 6's if the car was held to the floor and allowed to shift automatically. Of course these units were serial numbered to the car they were installed in which makes for pretty good documentation on a car in itself. I've always wondered if these transmissions carried over into the other Chevys with SHP engines such as the Chevelles and Camaros with 375's, LS6's, ZL1, COPO's, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
28,595 Posts
My 70 SS454 is an original LS6 car (original motor long gone) Car still has the original TH400 "CY" code that matches the VIN.It doesn't have the original torque convertor though.And it does have higher shift points.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M20/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

[This message has been edited by mr 4 speed (edited 12-14-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Yes they did. I just recently documented an original untouched '69 SS427/425 Impala convertible with the "CY" code tranny. They also used "CX" codes as well. There was quite a discussion on this on the Supercar web site. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000527.html
The car did indeed have the extra torque converter bolts annd I believe was a higher stall.

From my research, I believe these were used behind the solid lifter 427 and 454 engines. I don not recall the serial number having anything to do with the car however.

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

[This message has been edited by Rick_Nelson (edited 12-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick, thanks for pointing me at a great website that I was unaware of. There is a reply somewhere down that thread about the Vin # being stamped in the tranmission on a pad above the oil pan. I couldn't remember the position, but mine definately has the Vin # of the car stamped. This is pretty good proof of a SHP engine in a Corvette with the build sheet long gone.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
I wasn't into codes, buildsheets, etc., back then, but FWIW I remember the '70 L78 Nova I bought new had a much looser converter than "normal" stock auto trans cars.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I believe these were used behind the solid lifter 427 and 454 engines.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, also to include the solid lifter 396's as well. In the '70 Chevelle assembly manual, there is a page dedicated to this arrangement.

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.