Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the proper O-Ring size is for the dipstick tube on a Turbo 400. I just ordered a new dipstick and tube from Ground up and it didn't come with an O-Ring. I would really hate to spring a leak on my newly rebuilt turbo 400.

Thanks
HovsSS

·
Super Moderator
13,283 Posts
hov,
I have gotten them from my local Chevy dealer several times. They had them in stock.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I don't even use the o-rings on mine. I put a nice bead of Permatex Super Blue just under the ridge (where the o-ring seats) and push it in and bolt it to the block. I wipe away the excess that squeezes out the top and it's good to go.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
The "best" dipstick tubes don't use an O-ring. The more modern design uses a flanged rubber "sleeve" seal instead--and it is WAY superior.

Since you already have the O-ring style tube, you're best bet is the GM dealer, but you could also go to ANY parts store and compare O-rings from their assortment.

Given any choice--which you probably WON'T have--buy a Viton O-ring instead of the generic junk found in most parts-store assortments.

The O-ring in my Toronado TH 425 transmission is a generic parts-store O-ring; been there about a year with zero leakage--but--it's very important to have the tube properly bolted down so it can't wiggle. That was the original problem with my Toro tube--the tube had separated from the spot-welded bracket used to secure it. I had to weld the bracket back onto the tube before it would seal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts