Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a powerglide (original)in my 67 SS396 & want to switch to a Turbo 350 ("short" tailstock with torque conv.) that I have. I've seen the replacement console shift indicators, so it looks like it should work. What all will I need to change to get the Turbo to install & work? Crossmember? Driveshaft? Shift linkage/shifter? Speedo connection? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have done this swap a few tiimes, the trans will bolt right in, the trans mount may have to be changed, the trans cooler lines will have to be bent slightly and the shift indicator and the shift indent in the console will have to be changed if you want first gear. it will work without the console parts change but you will only have 2nd,3rd, neutral, reverse and park. no first. anyways if you have any more questions e-mail me I'll give ya some more info.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Odie
I changed my 64 SS from PG to TH350. I used a
TH350/400 Indent Kit from Shiftworks,
The factroy floor shift linkage hit the the
speedo connection, I had to adjust the rod
to get 1st gear. Everything but this was bolt
up. The swap is well worth it. The PG Torque
Conv. has more slip (stall) than the stock
Th350/400 Conv. My 64 has a 327 with a L-79
cam, I needed a LT-1 Conv. Unless you have
Rad cam the stock Conv should work fine with the 396 for street use.
Good luck Bob J.

------------------

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill M. & Bob Johnson. The info you all supplied helped me a bunch!! In my search for "Shiftworks", I ran across a tech article that covers the swap step by step, authored by Wes Vann. Thanks again for the help.....
Odie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.