Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 70 malibue i need some music in my car i have a cheap tape deck from car toys and some speakers out of my 86 cutless what do i do to hook this up
thanks josh

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Are you asking which wire out of the tape deck goes where? Didn't come with a diagram? Guessing that there's a red, black, green, gray, and orange wire.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the deck was really cheap because it was on display and i have never done a stereo before so i am clueless

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Ok, going to be leaving shortly but in the meantime:
What color wires are coming out of the back of the unit?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i no witch wires go to the speakers but there are yellow, black, red and blue that i dont no about. and then there is a thick black wire i think for the antenae and another thick black wire that has a cap on it i think it is for a cd changer.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Originally posted by josh sorenson:
ok i no witch wires go to the speakers but there are yellow, black, red and blue that i dont no about. and then there is a thick black wire i think for the antenae and another thick black wire that has a cap on it i think it is for a cd changer.
Josh, beware if it was really cheap, you get what you pay for sometimes, regardless if it was a display model or not.

The vast majority of the time:
yellow is your main power/memory power wire. This needs a constant 12 volts (even when the car is off). Splice this into the orange wire that feeds your cigarette lighter.

red is your "trigger" wire. This is what allows the deck to activate to prevent it from being on all the time. This needs to connect to a power source that is only hot when the ignition is in the ON/RUN or Accessory postion. Connect this wire to the factory original yellow wire that fed the factory radio. IF you can't find it or in doubt, connect it to the spade lug in the fuse box that is by the "RADIO"/ACC fuse.

Blue-don't mess with. This is a remote power turn-on for an amp or power antenna.

Black, master ground connect. This needs a GOOD ground. Bolt it to the metal dash frame or the firewall. It must be a good clean metallic ground!

"Thick wires", one will be the antenna lead-in. Connect this to the male antenna connector that comes out of the firewall on the car. The other will have little pin connectors (the one with the cap on it), this is for your cd changer/external accessories.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok im back i cant figure out how to get the old AM deck out when i look under it looks like i have to take half the dash apart is there a way to take just that black cover plate off that the deck comes through. or is there a easyer way?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts