Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed my painless wiring harness and looking thru the Assembly Manual it shows the TCS Reversing Relay and the TCS Delay Relay (UPC12 #5 in manual if you have it).The Painless Wiring Harness does not address these relays. What do I need to do to get them hooked up with this harness (start and end points ect...)and what are they for?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think those are for the 'Tranmission Contolled Spark' system. I guess I wouldn't worry about them since you're using a Painless harness and thus aren't too worried about being factory correct. The TCS was part of the smog control system of the late 60's/early 70's.
-Bill

·
Registered
723 Posts
The 70 and 71 TCS systems are different. I have a 70 vette and recently assisted a 71 chevelle big block owner get his TCS system working. The 71 system is more complex and uses an additional relay, that reversing relay you mentioned. Components are expensive. I'm told the reversing relay is about 110 bucks alone.
These systems are prone to failure or intermittent functioning. Unless you are intent on restoration for judging, I'd strongly consider ignoring the system and not hooking it up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS CHEVY HEADS!!!
Man this group is great. I was worried about what would happen if I did'nt install it.I will drink with ease tonight (LOL).I bench tested both relays the work fine.Anyone looking fo the set EMail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts